• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 3 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Mitchell Has Tanda Ready for Action

Del Mar logo

The 4-year-old filly Tanda, third-place finisher in last month’s Grade II A Gleam Handicap at Hollywood Park, will be under new management when she is part of a field of seven in Sunday’s Grade III, $150,000, 6 ½ furlong Rancho Bernardo Handicap.

Mike Mitchell has taken over the training from Dan Hendricks and Joe Talamo will be aboard for the first time, the fifth rider in 12 starts in Tanda’s career.

“She really was a good filly last year and the goal this year is the Breeders’ Cup ($1 million Filly & Mare Sprint),” Mitchell said. Tanda won four of six starts including a pair of Grade III events and finished third in the Grade I Acorn at Belmont Park in 2010 to produce earnings of $216,990.

“Danny had done a great job with her, but she wasn’t running to expectations,” Mitchell said. “I’ve had horses with the owners (Tommy Hutton’s Dream Stable LLC) before, and Danny still has horses with them.

“But we’re running out of time with her and they gave her to me to see if she’ll respond to my training.

“She’s done well, but if she’s going to win a Grade I down the line, she’s got to win this Grade III. I put Joe on the horse because he works well with me and I have a lot of faith in Joe.

“She got a nice outside post (No. 6 of 7) and that is the one thing that I couldn’t do anything about. I just love her on the outside and with that Joe will be able to ride his own race.”

The Rancho Bernardo will go as the third on a nine-race Sunday card with the usual 2 p.m. first post