• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Mitchell Has Tanda Ready for Action

Del Mar logo

The 4-year-old filly Tanda, third-place finisher in last month’s Grade II A Gleam Handicap at Hollywood Park, will be under new management when she is part of a field of seven in Sunday’s Grade III, $150,000, 6 ½ furlong Rancho Bernardo Handicap.

Mike Mitchell has taken over the training from Dan Hendricks and Joe Talamo will be aboard for the first time, the fifth rider in 12 starts in Tanda’s career.

“She really was a good filly last year and the goal this year is the Breeders’ Cup ($1 million Filly & Mare Sprint),” Mitchell said. Tanda won four of six starts including a pair of Grade III events and finished third in the Grade I Acorn at Belmont Park in 2010 to produce earnings of $216,990.

“Danny had done a great job with her, but she wasn’t running to expectations,” Mitchell said. “I’ve had horses with the owners (Tommy Hutton’s Dream Stable LLC) before, and Danny still has horses with them.

“But we’re running out of time with her and they gave her to me to see if she’ll respond to my training.

“She’s done well, but if she’s going to win a Grade I down the line, she’s got to win this Grade III. I put Joe on the horse because he works well with me and I have a lot of faith in Joe.

“She got a nice outside post (No. 6 of 7) and that is the one thing that I couldn’t do anything about. I just love her on the outside and with that Joe will be able to ride his own race.”

The Rancho Bernardo will go as the third on a nine-race Sunday card with the usual 2 p.m. first post