• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 2 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 2 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 2 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 2 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 2 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 2 days ago

Mitchell Has Tanda Ready for Action

Del Mar logo

The 4-year-old filly Tanda, third-place finisher in last month’s Grade II A Gleam Handicap at Hollywood Park, will be under new management when she is part of a field of seven in Sunday’s Grade III, $150,000, 6 ½ furlong Rancho Bernardo Handicap.

Mike Mitchell has taken over the training from Dan Hendricks and Joe Talamo will be aboard for the first time, the fifth rider in 12 starts in Tanda’s career.

“She really was a good filly last year and the goal this year is the Breeders’ Cup ($1 million Filly & Mare Sprint),” Mitchell said. Tanda won four of six starts including a pair of Grade III events and finished third in the Grade I Acorn at Belmont Park in 2010 to produce earnings of $216,990.

“Danny had done a great job with her, but she wasn’t running to expectations,” Mitchell said. “I’ve had horses with the owners (Tommy Hutton’s Dream Stable LLC) before, and Danny still has horses with them.

“But we’re running out of time with her and they gave her to me to see if she’ll respond to my training.

“She’s done well, but if she’s going to win a Grade I down the line, she’s got to win this Grade III. I put Joe on the horse because he works well with me and I have a lot of faith in Joe.

“She got a nice outside post (No. 6 of 7) and that is the one thing that I couldn’t do anything about. I just love her on the outside and with that Joe will be able to ride his own race.”

The Rancho Bernardo will go as the third on a nine-race Sunday card with the usual 2 p.m. first post