• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 20 minutes ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Mitchell Has Always Been Fond of Leparoux

When Mike Mitchell gives Julien Leparoux a leg up on one of his horses, he’s doing it both as a trainer and as a father-in-law.

It’s been the latter since the world-class jockey married the daughter of Mike and Denise Mitchell, Shea, last month.

It’s business before pleasure or vice-versa. Either way, it works for Mitchell.

“I rode him before Shea ever met him,” Mitchell said of the 29-year-old Frenchman, Eclipse Award winner as the nation’s outstanding jockey in 2009. “He rode On the Acorn for me for Jack Disney (one of the owners of Indizguys Stable). That was way before Shea ever met him. I’ve always liked him as a rider.”

Leparoux won an Eclipse Award as outstanding jockey of 2009. That year he became the second rider in history to win three Breeders’ Cup races in a single year.

“He’s a good rider and such a nice young man, I enjoy everything about him.,” Mitchell continued. “My owners want to ride him, but I’m no different from anybody else. He’s going to ride the best horse he wants to ride and if it comes down to me and (Steve) Asmussen and Asmussen has the better horse, I understand that.

“You’re not going to be first call on Mike Mitchell, that’s for sure. A lot of people want to ride him. He’s the closest thing to (Eddie) Delahoussaye. He’s got a great set of hands. He can settle a horse and I think that’s important.”

YOUNG AT HEART IVAN PUHICH LOOKS TO THE FUTURE

A year ago, Ivan Puhich was about to embark on the ride of his life. Today, he is a race track lifer looking for a jockey.

Last year, Puhich hooked up with an unknown rider named Mario Gutierrez who would go on to become an overnight sensation at 25 by winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness on I’ll Have Another, and come within a heartbeat of going for racing’s elusive Triple Crown, only to have the opportunity squelched due to a last-minute injury to the horse.

Today, Puhich, can only watch from the sidelines as another obscure but talented rider, Kevin Krigger, starts down what could lead to the Kentucky Derby on a 3-year-old colt named Goldencents, like I’ll Have Another, trained by Doug O’Neill.

“Krigger’s a very good rider,” said Puhich, a tall, lean ex-Marine who turned 86 on Dec. 22. “He came to California as a young person (he’s now 29) and he wasn’t that good, but he went to the bushes in Seattle and places like that and became quite an accomplished jockey. There’s nothing wrong with Krigger’s riding. He’s a very good rider.”

Racing could benefit from the experience of men like Puhich, who has been on the race track “my whole life. My dad, John, had horses. If the opportunity comes for me to take a young rider, I might take him under my wing and teach him what I know,” Puhich said. “But right now, I’ll have to wait and see.”