• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 11 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Mitchell Has Always Been Fond of Leparoux

When Mike Mitchell gives Julien Leparoux a leg up on one of his horses, he’s doing it both as a trainer and as a father-in-law.

It’s been the latter since the world-class jockey married the daughter of Mike and Denise Mitchell, Shea, last month.

It’s business before pleasure or vice-versa. Either way, it works for Mitchell.

“I rode him before Shea ever met him,” Mitchell said of the 29-year-old Frenchman, Eclipse Award winner as the nation’s outstanding jockey in 2009. “He rode On the Acorn for me for Jack Disney (one of the owners of Indizguys Stable). That was way before Shea ever met him. I’ve always liked him as a rider.”

Leparoux won an Eclipse Award as outstanding jockey of 2009. That year he became the second rider in history to win three Breeders’ Cup races in a single year.

“He’s a good rider and such a nice young man, I enjoy everything about him.,” Mitchell continued. “My owners want to ride him, but I’m no different from anybody else. He’s going to ride the best horse he wants to ride and if it comes down to me and (Steve) Asmussen and Asmussen has the better horse, I understand that.

“You’re not going to be first call on Mike Mitchell, that’s for sure. A lot of people want to ride him. He’s the closest thing to (Eddie) Delahoussaye. He’s got a great set of hands. He can settle a horse and I think that’s important.”

YOUNG AT HEART IVAN PUHICH LOOKS TO THE FUTURE

A year ago, Ivan Puhich was about to embark on the ride of his life. Today, he is a race track lifer looking for a jockey.

Last year, Puhich hooked up with an unknown rider named Mario Gutierrez who would go on to become an overnight sensation at 25 by winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness on I’ll Have Another, and come within a heartbeat of going for racing’s elusive Triple Crown, only to have the opportunity squelched due to a last-minute injury to the horse.

Today, Puhich, can only watch from the sidelines as another obscure but talented rider, Kevin Krigger, starts down what could lead to the Kentucky Derby on a 3-year-old colt named Goldencents, like I’ll Have Another, trained by Doug O’Neill.

“Krigger’s a very good rider,” said Puhich, a tall, lean ex-Marine who turned 86 on Dec. 22. “He came to California as a young person (he’s now 29) and he wasn’t that good, but he went to the bushes in Seattle and places like that and became quite an accomplished jockey. There’s nothing wrong with Krigger’s riding. He’s a very good rider.”

Racing could benefit from the experience of men like Puhich, who has been on the race track “my whole life. My dad, John, had horses. If the opportunity comes for me to take a young rider, I might take him under my wing and teach him what I know,” Puhich said. “But right now, I’ll have to wait and see.”