• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 3 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 3 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 4 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 5 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 6 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 6 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 6 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Mister Marti Gras Wins Washington Park

Arlington Park.
Lothenbach Stables’ Mister Marti Gras rallied from far back to nail front-running favorite Workin For Hops in the final strides to win the Grade III $100,000 Washington Park Handicap Saturday at Arlington Park.  Eduardo Perez was astride the homebred son of Belong to Me who ran the mile and an eighth over Polytrack in 1:51.60.

Content to keep the Chris Block-trained 4-year-old far back early, Perez eased his mount to the outside on the second turn and made a strong rally down the center of the track to prevail at the wire while avoiding trouble just to his inside.

“My horse was running straight,” Perez said.  “I didn’t cause the problem (near the wire).  They told me to stay off the pace and didn’t want me to be too close.  I took my shot pretty good and my horse ran very hard.”

At the same time the winner was making his move, Maristar was moving between horses and was steadied inside the sixteenth pole.  Her rider, E. T. Baird, claimed foul against both the winner and runner-up alleging interference. After a lengthy review, the stewards disqualified Workin for Hops from second and placed him third, moving Maristar to the second spot.

“(I) didn’t have a rough trip until the last part of it, but I think I would have won if I hadn’t gotten pinched,” Baird said.

“(It’s been) a very eventful hour,” added Maristar’s trainer Gerard Butler referring to his second-place at Saratoga with Pachattack in the Personal Ensign and a move up to second here with Maristar.

The Washington Park was the first graded stakes victory for Mister Marti Gras, whose overall record improved to five wins from 17 starts.  He earned $58,200 to boost his bankroll to $416,996.

Sent off at 7-1 odds, he paid $16.80, $7 and $3.40.  Maristar returned $7.40 and $4.20.  Workin for Hops paid $2.60.

Burj Alzain, Color Me Blue, Dark Cove, General Quarters and Hoosier Kingdom completed the order of finish in the eight-horse field.