• Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 5 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 6 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago

Mister Marti Gras Wins Washington Park

Arlington Park.
Lothenbach Stables’ Mister Marti Gras rallied from far back to nail front-running favorite Workin For Hops in the final strides to win the Grade III $100,000 Washington Park Handicap Saturday at Arlington Park.  Eduardo Perez was astride the homebred son of Belong to Me who ran the mile and an eighth over Polytrack in 1:51.60.

Content to keep the Chris Block-trained 4-year-old far back early, Perez eased his mount to the outside on the second turn and made a strong rally down the center of the track to prevail at the wire while avoiding trouble just to his inside.

“My horse was running straight,” Perez said.  “I didn’t cause the problem (near the wire).  They told me to stay off the pace and didn’t want me to be too close.  I took my shot pretty good and my horse ran very hard.”

At the same time the winner was making his move, Maristar was moving between horses and was steadied inside the sixteenth pole.  Her rider, E. T. Baird, claimed foul against both the winner and runner-up alleging interference. After a lengthy review, the stewards disqualified Workin for Hops from second and placed him third, moving Maristar to the second spot.

“(I) didn’t have a rough trip until the last part of it, but I think I would have won if I hadn’t gotten pinched,” Baird said.

“(It’s been) a very eventful hour,” added Maristar’s trainer Gerard Butler referring to his second-place at Saratoga with Pachattack in the Personal Ensign and a move up to second here with Maristar.

The Washington Park was the first graded stakes victory for Mister Marti Gras, whose overall record improved to five wins from 17 starts.  He earned $58,200 to boost his bankroll to $416,996.

Sent off at 7-1 odds, he paid $16.80, $7 and $3.40.  Maristar returned $7.40 and $4.20.  Workin for Hops paid $2.60.

Burj Alzain, Color Me Blue, Dark Cove, General Quarters and Hoosier Kingdom completed the order of finish in the eight-horse field.