• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 2 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 3 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 7 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 9 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 10 days ago

Mike Puype Gets Marathon Hero Calidoscopio

Mike Puype was greeted by two Breeders' Cup winners in his barn Sunday: Mizdirection, who he sent out to victory in the Turf Sprint Saturday, and Calidoscopio, who was transferred to him by Argentine connections following a victory in the Marathon Friday.

“She (Mizdirection) seemed to come out of it good, and I couldn't be more pleased,” Puype said after the 4yo filly rallied from 11th to win the Turf Sprint under Mike Smith. “I thought her win was one of the best performances in the Breeders' Cup races.

“She came off a layoff, beat colts and had a wide trip,” Puype said of the reasons he was elated with the challenging score. Mizdirection made her first start since May and remained perfect in four starts on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita.

“I'm not sure what's next for her,” said Puype of the gray/roan daughter of Mizzen Mast. “I'm just going to have to huddle up with the owners.”

Calidoscopio, a 9yo horse who had trained at Betfair Hollywood Park for six weeks since arriving from Argentina, also joined the Puype stable. “He's here for now,” said Puype of the Argentine-bred horse trained to a 17.20-to-1 upset victory by Guillermo Frenkel.

“They're thinking of leaving him here to race, but I'm not sure in what races. I should know more in a week from John Fulton (advisor to Stud Dona Pancha).”

Older Comments about Mike Puype Gets Marathon Hero Calidoscopio...

This animal filled a huge void. There are NO stamina horses left on the main track, so a competent one loosk, relatively, like a Citation.
So excited for Calidoscopio! I thought he would run well in the Marathon, but he blew away my expectations. I wonder if he would do OK on Synthetics. I also hope Puype doesnt try to change his training style of galloping bareback. I'm really excited to see what he can do in more races in the US
Wow, I hope he stays here to race - and to stand st stud! We need an infusion of stamina in our bloodstock.
Thrilled about this, regardless of he does, nice that we get to see him in action again.