• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 1 day ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 4 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 4 days ago

Michael Dickinson Talks Tapeta

Former trainer, he retired to oversee Tapeta Footings, a synthetic surface he created. Tapeta is the surface over which the Dubai World Cup will be run next Saturday, March 26, at Meydan in Dubai.

Birthdate: Feb. 3, 1950, in Yorkshire, England

Family: wife, Joan Wakefield

What was the impetus for you to develop a synthetic surface? “During my days as a steeplechase rider I spent the summers with Vincent O’Brien, who, as well as training 40 champion racehorses, was the creator of an all-weather surface, and he ignited my passion for surfaces. In the 28 years he trained at Ballydoyle, there were only two fatalities, and the two summers I spent there, I can never remember seeing a lame horse. For people to send him a million-dollar yearling, he had to have a safe surface to train on.”