• Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 2 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 2 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 3 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 3 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 4 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 4 days ago
  • Awtaad upsets Galileo Gold to win the Irish 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago

Mel Stute Cutting Back

Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24. Although the consignment represents his entire Santa Anita stable, the 83-year-old Indiana native isn’t quite ready to announce his retirement.

“I am cutting back,” said Stute from Clockers’ Corner at Santa Anita Jan. 22. “We’ve got nine in the sale on Tuesday with (consignor) Mary Knight. These are horses of racing age and most of them are in (his wife) Annabelle’s name. I’m keeping my 2-year-olds and I’ve got a couple of them turned out right now.

“I’ve got five 2-year-olds coming in here to Santa Anita on Feb. 1. I don’t know how long I’ll keep them. I might run them through the Barretts sale in May, so we’ll have to wait and see. I want to do what I can to help (his son) Gary also, so we’ll be evaluating everything in the next few months.”

Stute’s career highlights include wins in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) in 1986 with Snow Chief; the 1986 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) with Brave Raj; and the 1987 Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) with the filly Very Subtle.