• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 11 hours ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 1 day ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 1 day ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 1 day ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 1 day ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 2 days ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 2 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Mel Stute Cutting Back

Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24. Although the consignment represents his entire Santa Anita stable, the 83-year-old Indiana native isn’t quite ready to announce his retirement.

“I am cutting back,” said Stute from Clockers’ Corner at Santa Anita Jan. 22. “We’ve got nine in the sale on Tuesday with (consignor) Mary Knight. These are horses of racing age and most of them are in (his wife) Annabelle’s name. I’m keeping my 2-year-olds and I’ve got a couple of them turned out right now.

“I’ve got five 2-year-olds coming in here to Santa Anita on Feb. 1. I don’t know how long I’ll keep them. I might run them through the Barretts sale in May, so we’ll have to wait and see. I want to do what I can to help (his son) Gary also, so we’ll be evaluating everything in the next few months.”

Stute’s career highlights include wins in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) in 1986 with Snow Chief; the 1986 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) with Brave Raj; and the 1987 Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) with the filly Very Subtle.