• Ulysses (Galileo) powers by Churchill and Barney Roy in the Group 1 Juddmonte International.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Cracksman (Frankel) cruises to a big victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes at York.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Diversify (1-2) rolls home a big winner in the Evan Shipman.Posted 1 day ago
  • Blackjackcat (8-1) holds off Vyjack to win the Del Mar Mile.Posted 2 days ago
  • Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 2 days ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 2 days ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 3 days ago
  • Hunt (3-1) scores his second graded stakes win of the meet, this time in the Del Mar Handicap.Posted 3 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Mel Stute Cutting Back

Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24. Although the consignment represents his entire Santa Anita stable, the 83-year-old Indiana native isn’t quite ready to announce his retirement.

“I am cutting back,” said Stute from Clockers’ Corner at Santa Anita Jan. 22. “We’ve got nine in the sale on Tuesday with (consignor) Mary Knight. These are horses of racing age and most of them are in (his wife) Annabelle’s name. I’m keeping my 2-year-olds and I’ve got a couple of them turned out right now.

“I’ve got five 2-year-olds coming in here to Santa Anita on Feb. 1. I don’t know how long I’ll keep them. I might run them through the Barretts sale in May, so we’ll have to wait and see. I want to do what I can to help (his son) Gary also, so we’ll be evaluating everything in the next few months.”

Stute’s career highlights include wins in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) in 1986 with Snow Chief; the 1986 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) with Brave Raj; and the 1987 Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) with the filly Very Subtle.