• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 5 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 5 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 5 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Mel Stute Cutting Back

Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24. Although the consignment represents his entire Santa Anita stable, the 83-year-old Indiana native isn’t quite ready to announce his retirement.

“I am cutting back,” said Stute from Clockers’ Corner at Santa Anita Jan. 22. “We’ve got nine in the sale on Tuesday with (consignor) Mary Knight. These are horses of racing age and most of them are in (his wife) Annabelle’s name. I’m keeping my 2-year-olds and I’ve got a couple of them turned out right now.

“I’ve got five 2-year-olds coming in here to Santa Anita on Feb. 1. I don’t know how long I’ll keep them. I might run them through the Barretts sale in May, so we’ll have to wait and see. I want to do what I can to help (his son) Gary also, so we’ll be evaluating everything in the next few months.”

Stute’s career highlights include wins in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) in 1986 with Snow Chief; the 1986 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) with Brave Raj; and the 1987 Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) with the filly Very Subtle.