• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Meet Shackleford & Romans at Santa Anita

Shackleford wins the 2012 Met Mile over Caleb's Posse

Shackleford, runner-up in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile at Churchill Downs, will breeze Saturday for the final time in preparation for a start in this year’s Dirt Mile, it has been announced by trainer Dale Romans. A winner of the Preakness Stakes last year and both the Grade II Churchill Downs Stakes and the Grade I Metropolitan Mile Handicap this year, Shackelford has developed an extensive following via social media, according to Laura Herman, a representative of daleromansracing.com.

“We’ve had thousands of requests from people who would like to meet ‘Shack’,” said Herman. “So we’ve decided to do a Meet and Greet this Saturday after he works. He’s supposed to work at about 8 a.m., and we want to invite his fans to come out to Clockers’ Corner and see him on the track. Dale will be making an in-person appearance on HRTV after the work, and at that time he’ll let everyone know what plans lie ahead for Shackleford.”

Santa Anita Park and the Romans stable will then oversee a tour for all those wishing to make the trek to Barn 76 at 11 a.m. Romans will make Shackleford available for photos and will be on hand to answer questions and sign memorabilia until 12 noon. The Shackleford Tour will assemble at Clockers’ Corner prior to 11 a.m.

The public is invited, free of charge, to attend Clockers’ Corner seven days a week. The popular venue offers coffee, tea and a full breakfast menu in a one-of-a-kind setting. Clockers’ Corner can be accessed by entering Santa Anita at Gate 8, off of Baldwin Ave.

Older Comments about Meet Shackleford & Romans at Santa Anita...

Anita is one of the most beautiful race track settings in the over 55 tracks I have visted world wide. The first major course I attended the year inaugural Oak Tree started and I first heard the name Laffit Pincay. ONLY race course in North America with a right turn.
not so wild about going to California, maybe when it is somewhere else...
  • Armada · Yeah a lot of California isn't so awesome. The southern part has horrible air quality. But the mountains are absolutely amazing. Too bad the best area isn't anywhere near Santa Anita. ): · 627 days ago
For anyone who's going, take peppermints with you. The big guy LOVES them!
Round trip air fare is not that outrageous.
If only I lived in California! I want to meet Shack more than any other racehorse past or present. He's my all-time favorite and I'm probably his biggest fan. I drove seven hours up to Saratoga to see him in the Vanderbilt and again up to Belmont to see him in the Kelso. Lucky fans, I'm jealous. I hope he does good in the Dirt Mile! Love you Shack! (:
Damn it. If only I still lived in Cali.
I think members of the TOBA used to get advanced sales tickets so as to not have to go through the "lottery" that most do. You might check out to see if that is still the way it is done.
You owe it to yourself to go to at least ONE Breder's CUp, BUT I would not do it unless you have reserved seats. The one time I did not, it was not much fun fighting the smelly crowds of thrill seakers.
Wish I lived in California...would love to see Shack