• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $18,465 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Bayerd gets the job done in the Springboard Mile! Posted 4 days ago
  • Acceptance remains unbeaten in winning the King Glorious! Posted 4 days ago
  • Good Luck Gus best in the Damon Runyon! Posted 4 days ago
  • Mr. Z works 5F in 1:00.00 (2/24) at Los Al on Dec. 14Posted 4 days ago
  • Liam's Map gamely gets his first stakes win in the Harlan's Holiday! Posted 5 days ago
  • Micromanage over Vyjack in the Queens County! Posted 5 days ago
  • Sunbean does it again in the Louisana Champions Day Classic! Posted 5 days ago
  •  Merry Meadow gets up for the win in the Grade 3 Sugar Swirl!Posted 5 days ago
  • Top Billing breezed 3F in :38.00 (4/10) at Payson Park T.C.Posted 6 days ago

Meet Million Longshot General Perfect

Pasquale Vizzoni’s General Perfect, likely to be one of longer prices in the race, is slated to arrive at Arlington Park on Wednesday in advance of his start in Saturday’s Arlington Million XXIX, one day before his trainer Glenn Thompson.

The son of Perfect comes into the race off a fifth-place finish in the Grade III Oceanport Stakes at Monmouth Park on July 31, and according to Thompson, the 8-year-old gelding will gallop up to the race.

“He doesn’t need a lot in the way of work,” said Thompson, who will be saddling his first Arlington Million starter.  “He just ran on July 31 so he won’t need a breeze.  He gallops strong in the morning.”

A sprinter for the majority of his career, Thompson has stretched the horse out in his last two starts.

“I get on him myself in the mornings,” he explained.  “When I first got him (last year), he’d try to run off with me.  One morning, he took off and I decided to let him tire himself out.  After about a mile and a half, I clucked to him and he re-broke.  So, I thought to myself that he wanted to run long.  I tried him long once on the dirt in New York in the fall and he didn’t like it, so I had to wait for the right time to try again.”

He went back to sprinting and won the $82,000 John McSorley Stakes over 5 ½ furlongs in June before his trainer decided to try him long again.

“After he won the sprint stakes race, the owner gave me a little leeway to try him long again,” Thompson said.  “It was a big step up to run in the (Grade I) United Nations but I was confident he’d run well.  He was fanned out way wide in the stretch or I think he could have been closer, maybe only a couple of lengths off the winner had he not lost so much ground on the turn.  I was real proud of his effort.  He’s a pretty special horse.”

Older Comments about Meet Million Longshot General Perfect...

Please retire him, he is ten!
The owner's grandson was a student of mine!
i THINK zENYETTA is the best