• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Meet Million Longshot General Perfect

Pasquale Vizzoni’s General Perfect, likely to be one of longer prices in the race, is slated to arrive at Arlington Park on Wednesday in advance of his start in Saturday’s Arlington Million XXIX, one day before his trainer Glenn Thompson.

The son of Perfect comes into the race off a fifth-place finish in the Grade III Oceanport Stakes at Monmouth Park on July 31, and according to Thompson, the 8-year-old gelding will gallop up to the race.

“He doesn’t need a lot in the way of work,” said Thompson, who will be saddling his first Arlington Million starter.  “He just ran on July 31 so he won’t need a breeze.  He gallops strong in the morning.”

A sprinter for the majority of his career, Thompson has stretched the horse out in his last two starts.

“I get on him myself in the mornings,” he explained.  “When I first got him (last year), he’d try to run off with me.  One morning, he took off and I decided to let him tire himself out.  After about a mile and a half, I clucked to him and he re-broke.  So, I thought to myself that he wanted to run long.  I tried him long once on the dirt in New York in the fall and he didn’t like it, so I had to wait for the right time to try again.”

He went back to sprinting and won the $82,000 John McSorley Stakes over 5 ½ furlongs in June before his trainer decided to try him long again.

“After he won the sprint stakes race, the owner gave me a little leeway to try him long again,” Thompson said.  “It was a big step up to run in the (Grade I) United Nations but I was confident he’d run well.  He was fanned out way wide in the stretch or I think he could have been closer, maybe only a couple of lengths off the winner had he not lost so much ground on the turn.  I was real proud of his effort.  He’s a pretty special horse.”

Older Comments about Meet Million Longshot General Perfect...

Please retire him, he is ten!
The owner's grandson was a student of mine!
i THINK zENYETTA is the best