• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 3 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 3 days ago

Maryland Jockey Castellano Honored

Abel castellano
Photo: delawarepark.com
The Maryland Jockey Club honored jockey Abel Castellano Saturday afternoon for finishing atop the standings at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course last year. Castellano finished 2012 with 132 victories at Pimlico Race Course and Laurel Park, 11 more than 2011 champion Sheldon Russell. He teamed up with top conditioner Jamie Ness for 69 victories.

“Jamie Ness and Midwest Thoroughbreds had a lot to do with this title,” Castellano said. “I’m very blessed to be leading rider in 2012. You got to work hard for that. That’s what I did.”

The 29-year-old finished 2012 ranked 25th nationally in wins (192) and was 50th in earnings ($4.4 million). Statistically the only better year he had was 2004 when he established career-highs in wins (201) and earnings ($5 million).

“When I arrived in Maryland in 2003 I was not even 20 years old,” added Castellano said. “I truly grew up here. I am now married with three kids and have so much more responsibility. I think that helps me focus as a rider.”

Saturday festivities also featured a social media event called “Digital Reins”, which included a complimentary continental breakfast, fee pilsner glass and $2 drafts.

Also on display during the Winter Carnival were Ice Sculptures of some of the top runners in Maryland from a year ago and an Ice Wall with $2,500 in prizes frozen inside. The first 2,500 paid fans in attendance received a free fleece scarf. Those who wear the scarf to Laurel on Monday afternoon will receive free admission.

Monday’s 10-race card is headlined by the $250,000 General George Handicap (G3).