• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 2 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 3 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 7 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 9 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 10 days ago

Maryland Jockey Castellano Honored

Abel castellano
Photo: delawarepark.com
The Maryland Jockey Club honored jockey Abel Castellano Saturday afternoon for finishing atop the standings at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course last year. Castellano finished 2012 with 132 victories at Pimlico Race Course and Laurel Park, 11 more than 2011 champion Sheldon Russell. He teamed up with top conditioner Jamie Ness for 69 victories.

“Jamie Ness and Midwest Thoroughbreds had a lot to do with this title,” Castellano said. “I’m very blessed to be leading rider in 2012. You got to work hard for that. That’s what I did.”

The 29-year-old finished 2012 ranked 25th nationally in wins (192) and was 50th in earnings ($4.4 million). Statistically the only better year he had was 2004 when he established career-highs in wins (201) and earnings ($5 million).

“When I arrived in Maryland in 2003 I was not even 20 years old,” added Castellano said. “I truly grew up here. I am now married with three kids and have so much more responsibility. I think that helps me focus as a rider.”

Saturday festivities also featured a social media event called “Digital Reins”, which included a complimentary continental breakfast, fee pilsner glass and $2 drafts.

Also on display during the Winter Carnival were Ice Sculptures of some of the top runners in Maryland from a year ago and an Ice Wall with $2,500 in prizes frozen inside. The first 2,500 paid fans in attendance received a free fleece scarf. Those who wear the scarf to Laurel on Monday afternoon will receive free admission.

Monday’s 10-race card is headlined by the $250,000 General George Handicap (G3).