• There's no catching Si Sage in the Grade 2 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Santa Anita.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou returns to her winning ways in today's Grade 2 Nassau Stakes.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Enola Gray takes the Melair gate to wire.Posted 1 day ago
  • Surgical Strike charges on the outside to win the Arlington Classic (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Diva Express and I'm a Looker make a dead heat run in the Winning Colors (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Flipcup game in Arlington Matron (G3) victory.Posted 1 day ago
  • In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 6 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 7 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 8 days ago

Marketing Mix Storms Home in Rodeo Drive

Marketing Mix and Garrett Gomez won the Rodeo Drive Stakes by 2 1/4 lengths on the turf for trainer Tom Proctor. The 4-year-old filly covered 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.20 and paid $4, $2.80 and $2.40 as the even-money favorite.

“You never know how things are actually going to set up in a race,” said Gomez. I know this mare; she’s really handy about what needs to be done at certain parts of the race. She’s just pure class. She was able to listen to what I was asking of her. I saw the two leaders hook up early on. They opened up six or seven on us, and I was using the next two horses as my cover but they just couldn’t keep up. I enjoy using my cover to pull me to the leader but I ended being the one that was starting to pull the rest of them along. I don’t like to do that too much, but you can do that when you have a quality horse, and she’s a quality horse. She proved it today.”

Marketing Mix claimed the automatic spot in the BC Filly & Mare Turf on Nov. 2, and Proctor was very happy with her effort. “She makes you high on her. She’s easy to train. She’s handled everything we’ve ever done to her. Last year, we hauled her back and forth to Canada four times, I think. When we discussed after the Beverly D. what to do, I told Craig (Bernick, Glen Hill racing manager), ‘It don’t matter what you do. She makes you look good.’ I’d have been disappointed if she got beat. That’s not a good way to go into the race, but you’ve have to be the way she’s run good all year.

Nereid was second and Stormy Lucy third in the race previously known as the Yellow Ribbon Stakes.

Rosie Napravnik rode Nereid for trainer John Shirreffs. “She was just a very, very nice filly to ride,” said Napravnik. I came from a little bit of a challenging post position on the outside and she was very easy to maneuver into a good spot. She responded when I needed to wait and when I needed to go, and she pushed her way through the horses and finished excellent.”