• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 4 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 5 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 9 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 11 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 12 days ago

Marketing Mix Storms Home in Rodeo Drive

Marketing Mix and Garrett Gomez won the Rodeo Drive Stakes by 2 1/4 lengths on the turf for trainer Tom Proctor. The 4-year-old filly covered 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.20 and paid $4, $2.80 and $2.40 as the even-money favorite.

“You never know how things are actually going to set up in a race,” said Gomez. I know this mare; she’s really handy about what needs to be done at certain parts of the race. She’s just pure class. She was able to listen to what I was asking of her. I saw the two leaders hook up early on. They opened up six or seven on us, and I was using the next two horses as my cover but they just couldn’t keep up. I enjoy using my cover to pull me to the leader but I ended being the one that was starting to pull the rest of them along. I don’t like to do that too much, but you can do that when you have a quality horse, and she’s a quality horse. She proved it today.”

Marketing Mix claimed the automatic spot in the BC Filly & Mare Turf on Nov. 2, and Proctor was very happy with her effort. “She makes you high on her. She’s easy to train. She’s handled everything we’ve ever done to her. Last year, we hauled her back and forth to Canada four times, I think. When we discussed after the Beverly D. what to do, I told Craig (Bernick, Glen Hill racing manager), ‘It don’t matter what you do. She makes you look good.’ I’d have been disappointed if she got beat. That’s not a good way to go into the race, but you’ve have to be the way she’s run good all year.

Nereid was second and Stormy Lucy third in the race previously known as the Yellow Ribbon Stakes.

Rosie Napravnik rode Nereid for trainer John Shirreffs. “She was just a very, very nice filly to ride,” said Napravnik. I came from a little bit of a challenging post position on the outside and she was very easy to maneuver into a good spot. She responded when I needed to wait and when I needed to go, and she pushed her way through the horses and finished excellent.”