• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Mark Valeski, Cool Street Eye New Orleans 'Cap

Mark Valeski

Accepting congratulations on behalf of the Brereton Jones color-bearer Mark Valeski’s winning late run in Saturday’s Grade III Mineshaft Handicap following his horse’s seemingly hopeless entrapment at the eighth pole, trainer Larry Jones was in a jocular frame of mind Sunday morning doing.

“We decided this morning that we’re going to take ‘Mark’ to Europe,” Jones said. “They like to keep their horses covered up over there, so maybe that should be this horse’s new running style. As they saw in Europe, when Mark finally tipped to the outside, he really quickened.”

Mark Valeski’s win in Belmont’s Grade II Peter Pan last summer was his lone prior stakes score despite close local runner-up losses last winter in the Grade II Risen Star Stakes and Grade II Louisiana Derby and another second this winter in the Louisiana Handicap.

“I was thinking, ‘Oh no, here we go again,’” said Jones of the Mark Valeski’s recent “seconditis” at Fair Grounds.

“For awhile there, I thought maybe we were looking at a case of ‘lastitis,’” Jones said. “Those were some good horses in front of him yesterday, and I also knew Bernie’s horse (Tenth Street Stable’s Cool Street, trained by Bernie Flint) was starting to get rolling. That’s a real good horse Bernie has. If that horse gets in front of you, you’re not going to catch him again. We’ll be pointing Mark Valeski for the (Grade II) New Orleans Handicap for his next start, and I’m sure Bernie will be pointing his horse that way, too.

“Also, I expect we’re going to see (Twin Creeks Racing’s) Graydar and (Bourbon Lane Stable’s) Bourbon Courage coming here for our race,” Jones said, speaking of the one-two finishers in Gulfstream’s Grade I Donn Handicap Feb. 9. That New Orleans Handicap is going to be quite a race.”

COOL STREET CLOSES LIKE A SHOT IN MINESHAFT DESPITE SLOW PACE

Tenth Street Stable’s Cool Street was undefeated in four starts this season at Fair Grounds prior to Saturday’s Grade III Mineshaft Handicap, and in that prelude to the upcoming Grade II New Orleans Handicap March 30, the 4-year-old son of 2008 Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense closed like a freight train to finish second.

“My horse couldn’t win with a slow pace like they had in that race yesterday,” said trainer Bernie Flint during training hours Sunday. “My horse was still last at the quarter pole. He came charging after that. I’ve never seen a horse run as hard as he did in that last quarter.

“However, I knew we had no chance to catch (Brereton Jones’s) Mark Valeski,” Flint said. “That horse is a good horse and he’s been training at the top of his game these last few weeks. I knew going into the race Mark Valeski was the horse we had to beat. That boy (Mark Valeski’s trainer Larry Jones) can really train a horse. He had his horse really sharp.

“We’re going to go ahead and point for the next round,” Flint concluded, speaking of the upcoming Grade II New Orleans Handicap March 30. “You got to with a horse like this. My horse is a coming horse right now, not a going horse.”