• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 4 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

Marina del Rey Man Wins $1k CashCall Bet

Ed Clark, a 75-year-old resident of Marina del Rey, won $3,600 on Saturday by participating in a daily drawing sponsored by J. Paul Reddam’s CashCall and Santa Anita Park.

CashCall and Santa Anita announced that beginning Saturday, on-track fans could submit their entries earlier in the day to be part of a drawing to win a $1,000 win-bet on the last race of the day for the remainder of the 24-day Autumn Meet, with the exception of the two-day Breeders’ Cup.

Clark, a New Jersey native, who said that he’d “been playing the horses since I’m 20 years old,” found out about the CashCall/Santa Anita $1,000 win-bet contest when he arrived at The Great Race Place on Saturday.

“When I came in, I saw the CashCall sign and I felt like I had to play.  I like the jock (Rafael Bejarano) and I liked the horse.  I thought he was on the best horse in the race and that’s the way it turned out.”

Clark’s entry was drawn prior to the 11th and final race and he watched the race from the winner’s circle.  Shortly after the race was declared official, he was interviewed live on HRTV.

Off as the first choice in the wagering at odds of 5-2, the Simon Callaghan-trained Byrama won easily, providing Bejarano with his fourth stakes win of the day.  Byrama paid $7.20 to win, resulting in Clark’s $3,600 hit.

“I’m usually out here on the weekends,” said Clark.  When asked if he might have anything specific in mind for his newfound bankroll, he responded “I don’t have any immediate plans.”

Santa Anita will present a 10-race program on Sunday.  First post time is 1 p.m.