• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 1 day ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 4 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 6 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 6 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 6 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 6 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 6 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 6 days ago

Preakness 2013: Many Churchill Trainers Like Orb

Orb FoY 615 X 400
Photo: Eclipse Spotswire
Several Churchill Downs trainers are picking Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (Grade I) winner Orb to win Saturday’s Preakness (GI) and are expecting the Malibu Moon colt to head to Belmont with a shot to become racing’s 12th Triple Crown winner.

Perhaps no trainer will be cheering for Orb harder than David Carroll, who worked for trainer Shug McGaughey from 1985-90 and was the main exercise rider for Easy Goer, who finished second in the 1989 Kentucky Derby to Sunday Silence.

“I think you’ll see big races from Itsmyluckyday and Goldencents, but I don’t think anyone is going to beat Orb,” Carroll said.

Carroll added that he would love to see Orb head to New York with a shot to win the Triple Crown.

“I was at Belmont when Smarty Jones was going for the Triple Crown and it was the most electrifying atmosphere I’ve ever seen. If Orb were to win the Preakness, I would love to be up there for it. The atmosphere would be unbelievable.

“(Orb) has a Hall of Fame trainer, he has the pedigree and the owners, and well it doesn’t get any better than that. It would just be right. Maybe it’s too good to be true, but if it did happen, it would be tremendous.”

Other horsemen at Churchill Downs picking Orb on top in the second jewel of the Triple Crown include Paul McGee, Jack Bohannon, Bret Calhoun, Norman Casse, Scooter Dickey, Brad Cox, Buff Bradley, Dale Romans and Phil Bauer.

“You’ve got to like Orb,” McGee said. “That’s who I think is going to win it.”

“I’ve got to stick with the Derby winner,” said Bohannon, who is the longtime assistant trainer to Rusty Arnold. “I’ll be pulling for a Triple Crown winner.”

“Orb is tons the best,” Calhoun said. “I think we’ve got a shot at a Triple Crown. He was the best horse all winter and proved it on Derby Day.”

“I like Orb and he is going to win the Triple Crown,” said Casse, assistant to his father, Mark.

“I like Orb,” Dickey said while sporting an Orb hat Thursday morning. “I watched him all winter and he’s the best I’ve seen.”

“I think Orb is the horse,” Cox said. “A lot of people like Al Stall’s horse (Departing) and I think he’ll run well too.”

“I like Orb and one reason is because Shug is so high on him,” Bradley said.

“I think Orb is going to win the Preakness and I think he’ll win the Triple Crown,” Romans said. “I’ve never said that about another horse.”

“I don’t think anyone can beat Orb,” said Bauer, assistant to trainer Ken McPeek.

The Preakness is scheduled as Race 12 on Pimlico’s 13-race card Saturday and has a post time of 6:20 p.m. (all times Eastern). Orb, the even-money favorite on the morning line, will break from the rail in the field of nine.