• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Mandella's Cup Horses Earn Vacation

Richard Mandella reported all was well with his Breeders’ Cup campaigners Sunday morning and that they all had earned a bit of vacation.

“They’ll all get some time off, one way or another,” Mandella said. “I’d expect you’d probably see them all at the Santa Anita big meet after Christmas. Jimmy Creed and Rumor will stay with me at the track. Beholder probably will, too. Sometimes with young fillies you need to take them away (from the track) and give them a break. But she’s big and strong and I’m thinking she’ll probably stay here with us. If I see in a few days if she maybe needs it, I’ve got several farms around here where I could send her.”

The trainer was especially proud of his 2yo filly Beholder, who took her field wire-to-wire in Friday’s Juvenile Fillies at 1 1/16m. He has hopes of an Eclipse Award for her and thoughts of a 3yo filly prize like the Kentucky Oaks. In the case of the 4yo filly Rumor, he noted that she is lightly raced (just 12 starts) and that he has further plans for her next year. In the case of his 3yo Jimmy Creed, he felt his Sprint effort was an additional educational vehicle for all involved.

“He (Jimmy Creed) was down inside (post 2) and that dirt started coming back and hitting him in the face again,” Mandella said. “When that happened last time (Santa Anita Sprint Championship Oct 6 in which he ran third), he started to back up. I thought that experience would suit him this time, but he got even more dirt in his face Saturday and he just hated it. He’s a nice colt, though, and I’ll give him a little bit of time off and then point him for the Malibu (Dec. 26 at Santa Anita).”