• Magic Mark upsets the Bertrando Stakes at 11-1 to kickoff the Los Alamitos meet.Posted 1 day ago
  • Salutos Amigos dominant in Monmouth Park's Mr. Prospector.Posted 5 days ago
  • Crucero upsets the San Juan Capistrano at odds of 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • La Verdad skips through the Belmont slop to a victory in the Dancin Renee.Posted 5 days ago
  • Treve too much for Flintshire and the rest in today's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.Posted 5 days ago
  • Golden Lad surges late to score in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Bent on Bourbon has his coming out party in the Iowa Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Departing slips through on the hedge to win the Firecracker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis just holds off Pangburn in the Iowa Oaks.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cosmic Evolution edges away to victory in the Debutante.Posted 6 days ago

Mandella's Cup Horses Earn Vacation

Richard Mandella reported all was well with his Breeders’ Cup campaigners Sunday morning and that they all had earned a bit of vacation.

“They’ll all get some time off, one way or another,” Mandella said. “I’d expect you’d probably see them all at the Santa Anita big meet after Christmas. Jimmy Creed and Rumor will stay with me at the track. Beholder probably will, too. Sometimes with young fillies you need to take them away (from the track) and give them a break. But she’s big and strong and I’m thinking she’ll probably stay here with us. If I see in a few days if she maybe needs it, I’ve got several farms around here where I could send her.”

The trainer was especially proud of his 2yo filly Beholder, who took her field wire-to-wire in Friday’s Juvenile Fillies at 1 1/16m. He has hopes of an Eclipse Award for her and thoughts of a 3yo filly prize like the Kentucky Oaks. In the case of the 4yo filly Rumor, he noted that she is lightly raced (just 12 starts) and that he has further plans for her next year. In the case of his 3yo Jimmy Creed, he felt his Sprint effort was an additional educational vehicle for all involved.

“He (Jimmy Creed) was down inside (post 2) and that dirt started coming back and hitting him in the face again,” Mandella said. “When that happened last time (Santa Anita Sprint Championship Oct 6 in which he ran third), he started to back up. I thought that experience would suit him this time, but he got even more dirt in his face Saturday and he just hated it. He’s a nice colt, though, and I’ll give him a little bit of time off and then point him for the Malibu (Dec. 26 at Santa Anita).”