Breeders' Cup 2014

GET FREE BREEDERS' CUP PICKS!  WATCH THE VIDEO!
  • American Pharoah is out of the BC Juvenile due to a bone bruise. Posted 2 days ago
  • Dame Dorothy remains unbeaten in the Turnback the Alarm! Posted 4 days ago
  • West Coast Belle wins the Rags to Riches for fun! Posted 4 days ago
  • Conquest Tsunami storms to victory in the Street Sense! Posted 4 days ago
  • Military Attack defeats a top field in the Sha Tin Trophy! Posted 4 days ago
  • Canadian Lexie Lou wins the Autumn Miss at Santa Anita! Posted 5 days ago
  • Pick of the Litter edges Departing in the final strides of the Fayette! Posted 5 days ago
  • Salutos Amigos is best in the Bold Ruler! Posted 5 days ago
  • Adelaide wins a thrilling edition of the Cox Plate! Posted 5 days ago
  • 201 Pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup, including 15 in the Classic. Posted 8 days ago

Lukas Talks Will Take Charge, Fast Bullet

Will Take Charge Rebel 615 X 400
Photo: Eclipse Sportswire

Hall of Famer D. Wayne Lukas has won the Travers twice, with Corporate Report in 1991 and Thunder Gulch in 1995. He'll saddle Willis D. Horton's Will Take Charge on Saturday, the trainer's first starter in the "Mid-Summer Derby" since Shah Jehan was ninth in 2002.

Lukas, 77, has won 14 Triple Crown races, more than any trainer in history, breaking "Sunny" Jim Fitzsimmons' record with Oxbow's upset of the Preakness Stakes in May. Before that, his last Triple Crown race victory came with Commendable in the 2000 Belmont Stakes.

"I don't get nervous, but I love the big ones. I love to get in that main arena and try to pull it off," Lukas said. "There's no question about it. I still have a passion for it. I'm not one of those rah-rah, get nervous guys. In fact, I get very analytical when they're running. I'm watching their stride, head movement, everything."

Will Take Charge drew post 5 in the field of nine, and is the co-fourth choice on the morning line with Transparent at 10-1.

"I love my post position, in relationship to where everybody else drew," Lukas said. "It isn't a big deal, but if you had to make a choice, that would have been the one I made."

Lukas said he is pointing Fast Bullet to the Grade 1, $500,000 Forego on August 31. Owner Ahmed Zayat transferred the 5-year-old Speightstown colt, who had been with Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert in California, to Lukas this week.

Fast Bullet has run just five times in his career, winning four, including the Grade 2 RTN True North Handicap on June 8 at Belmont Park, which was his first start in six months. His lone loss was a sixth behind Trinniberg in the Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Sprint last November.

"He got here the day before yesterday," Lukas said. "He's a beautiful horse. Wow. I had seen his form and seen him run on TV and all that, but I had never seen him physically. Boy, he's a beautiful horse. He should be a factor in the Forego. That's why he's here."