• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 1 day ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 1 day ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 1 day ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 6 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 8 days ago

Inimitable Romanee Steals Long Island

alg aqueduct
Photo: New York Daily News
Left to her own devices on the front end, long shot Inimitable Romanee set a dawdling pace and had plenty in reserve late to hold off Tabreed by one length and spring a 28-1 upset on Saturday in Aqueduct Racetrack's Grade 3, $200,000 Long Island Handicap for turf fillies and mares.

Inimitable Romanee, who had previously placed in six stakes for New York-breds, received token pressure from her stablemate, Strathnaver, during the early stages of the 1 ½-mile Long Island as she ran the opening half-mile in 53.62 seconds and three-quarters in 1:20.65.

After running one mile in 1:46.29 and 1 ¼ miles in 2:10.19, Inimitable Romanee dispatched Strathnaver and spurted clear under jockey Chris DeCarlo's left-handed urging while Tabreed rallied along the rail to nab second. Tabreed finished a half-length clear of Left a Message, who was 1 ¼ lengths clear of Strathnaver in fourth.

Inimitable Romanee, the longest shot on the board, returned $58.50 for a $2 win wager and completed the distance over "good" turf in 2:34.28 in registering her first stakes victory.

"I didn't think there was any real speed in there," said DeCarlo. "I was pretty sure that if I did make the lead, no one was going to push me because she was [28-1]. My plan was all along that if I was able to make a comfortable lead, when I hit the turn I was going to open up, see how much I had left, and get as much separation between me and the rest of the field as possible. That's what happened. When I finally dropped her head, she gave me an unbelievable turn of foot. It was like she re-broke out of the gate."

The Long Island was the first win in seven starts this year for Inimitable Romanee, who had finished second in the Mount Vernon in June at Belmont Park and the On the Bus overnight stakes in July at Saratoga Race Course. She reported home third in Saratoga's Yaddo in August and Belmont's John Hettinger in September, and in her previous start was eighth after hitting the gate at the start in the Ticonderoga on October 19 at Belmont.

"She's a deserving mare, a hard-knocking mare, who deserved to win [a stakes]," said H. Graham Motion, who trains Inimitable Romanee for Gallagher's Stud. "She had been knocking heads with some hard-knocking fillies. It just goes to show you how tough those New York-breds have been."

Inimitable Romanee, a 5-year-old homebred by Maria's Mon and out of Grade 3-winning turf runner Cellars Shiraz, is 3-6-5 in 20 starts. Her Long Island victory, worth $120,000, lifted her career earnings to $323,875.

White Rose, Aigue Marine, and Sheppard's Pie completed the order of finish. Anjaz, the morning-line favorite, was scratched.