• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 58 minutes ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 11 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

LoPresti Looking Forward to Woodward, Baruch

With his early work behind him, trainer Charlie LoPresti sat in the sun on a red feed tub outside his barn, reading the paper and soaking in a glorious Saratoga morning.

The Brooklyn native is looking forward to the weekend, in which he will send out Successful Dan in the Grade 1, $750,000 Woodward and Turallure in the Grade 2, $250,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap on August 31.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to reigning Horse of the Year Wise Dan, who stretched his win streak to eight in the Grade 2, $500,000 Fourstardave Handicap at the Spa on August 10. He returned to the worktab with a half-mile breeze over the main track in 47.46 seconds on Saturday, the fastest of 38 horses at the distance.

"That was a walk in the park for him," LoPresti said. "I don't put too much [emphasis] on times with him. I really like to watch how he does it and how he comes back. He didn't even act like he worked yesterday. I don't mean that to be bragging on him; that's just how he is. He's just a really special horse, and the more I'm around him the more I realize just how special he is."

Bred and owned by Morton Fink, Wise Dan has won Grade 1 stakes on dirt and turf. He has raced exclusively on grass since beginning his streak in last year's Fourstardave, and LoPresti said he will remain on the surface for the foreseeable future.

"He can run in [the Woodward]. There's no doubt in my mind he can run on the dirt," LoPresti said. "The way he worked here the other day, it was incredible. I just wanted to give him a work to just keep him ticking over, and he worked really good.

"I'm probably going to keep him here now. I was going to send him to Kentucky, but I'm going to keep him here until we leave, which is going to be next Sunday. We'll leave after the Woodward and Bernard Baruch. We'll let them rest through the night and around lunchtime the next day, we'll go home."