• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 2 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 3 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 7 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 9 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 10 days ago

LoPresti Looking Forward to Woodward, Baruch

With his early work behind him, trainer Charlie LoPresti sat in the sun on a red feed tub outside his barn, reading the paper and soaking in a glorious Saratoga morning.

The Brooklyn native is looking forward to the weekend, in which he will send out Successful Dan in the Grade 1, $750,000 Woodward and Turallure in the Grade 2, $250,000 Bernard Baruch Handicap on August 31.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to reigning Horse of the Year Wise Dan, who stretched his win streak to eight in the Grade 2, $500,000 Fourstardave Handicap at the Spa on August 10. He returned to the worktab with a half-mile breeze over the main track in 47.46 seconds on Saturday, the fastest of 38 horses at the distance.

"That was a walk in the park for him," LoPresti said. "I don't put too much [emphasis] on times with him. I really like to watch how he does it and how he comes back. He didn't even act like he worked yesterday. I don't mean that to be bragging on him; that's just how he is. He's just a really special horse, and the more I'm around him the more I realize just how special he is."

Bred and owned by Morton Fink, Wise Dan has won Grade 1 stakes on dirt and turf. He has raced exclusively on grass since beginning his streak in last year's Fourstardave, and LoPresti said he will remain on the surface for the foreseeable future.

"He can run in [the Woodward]. There's no doubt in my mind he can run on the dirt," LoPresti said. "The way he worked here the other day, it was incredible. I just wanted to give him a work to just keep him ticking over, and he worked really good.

"I'm probably going to keep him here now. I was going to send him to Kentucky, but I'm going to keep him here until we leave, which is going to be next Sunday. We'll leave after the Woodward and Bernard Baruch. We'll let them rest through the night and around lunchtime the next day, we'll go home."