• Abel Tasman (12-1) gets up in time to beat American Gal in the Grade 1 Starlet.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Mastery (1-5) shrugs off his competition in the Grade 1 Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Party Boat (5-2) gets her head down to win the Wait a While.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Fact Finding (8-5) draws clear of the Smooth Air field and keeps a perfect record.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Lovable Lady (12-1) blasts away in the Willa On the Move Stakes.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Paulassilverlining (1-9) makes easy work of the Garland of Roses field.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Sonic Mule (3-1) keeps the wins for Todd Pletcher rolling in the Buffalo Man.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Tapwrit (3-2) holds off stablemate Master Plan to win the Pulpit.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Lirica (5-2) finds a clear path to take the Hut Hut Stakes.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Bode's Dream (5-2) returns victorious in the House Party to remain undefeated.Posted 7 hours ago

Lightning Strikes Twice for Rome

Shared Belief 615 X 400 Prevue
Photo: Benoit Photos
Who says lightning doesn’t strike twice?

Sports broadcaster Jim Rome, who recently sold two-time Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner Mizdirection for $2.7 million, has suddenly found himself with a major contender for Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000-guaranteed CashCall Futurity and a 2014 Kentucky Derby prospect.

Alex Solis II was responsible for Rome’s involvement with Mizdirection and was Johnny on the spot when Shared Belief became available.

“I’ve worked with Jerry (Hollendorfer) for about a year now,” Solis explained.  “He told me (Pam and Marty Wygod) had a horse for sale and to take a look at him and put together a partnership.  I went up north the next morning at 5 a.m. and liked what I saw.  I did my homework on him.  He had a real good (speed) figure and his maiden race was very impressive.  All the credit goes to Jerry.”

“Usually it’s so difficult to put these things together, but this was so fast, it was ridiculous.  Jerry took a third, and out of my two thirds, I solid pieces to Rome, Jason Litt and KMN Racing.”

“I think Rome is happy,” understated Solis.

Incidentally, Solis’ father, Alex Solis, is tied with Laffit Pincay, Jr. for most victories among jockeys (4) in the CashCall Futurity.