• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 17 hours ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 5 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 7 days ago

Lightning Strikes Twice for Rome

Shared Belief 615 X 400 Prevue
Photo: Benoit Photos
Who says lightning doesn’t strike twice?

Sports broadcaster Jim Rome, who recently sold two-time Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner Mizdirection for $2.7 million, has suddenly found himself with a major contender for Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000-guaranteed CashCall Futurity and a 2014 Kentucky Derby prospect.

Alex Solis II was responsible for Rome’s involvement with Mizdirection and was Johnny on the spot when Shared Belief became available.

“I’ve worked with Jerry (Hollendorfer) for about a year now,” Solis explained.  “He told me (Pam and Marty Wygod) had a horse for sale and to take a look at him and put together a partnership.  I went up north the next morning at 5 a.m. and liked what I saw.  I did my homework on him.  He had a real good (speed) figure and his maiden race was very impressive.  All the credit goes to Jerry.”

“Usually it’s so difficult to put these things together, but this was so fast, it was ridiculous.  Jerry took a third, and out of my two thirds, I solid pieces to Rome, Jason Litt and KMN Racing.”

“I think Rome is happy,” understated Solis.

Incidentally, Solis’ father, Alex Solis, is tied with Laffit Pincay, Jr. for most victories among jockeys (4) in the CashCall Futurity.