• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 2 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 2 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 2 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

Lightning Strikes Twice for Rome

Shared Belief 615 X 400 Prevue
Photo: Benoit Photos
Who says lightning doesn’t strike twice?

Sports broadcaster Jim Rome, who recently sold two-time Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner Mizdirection for $2.7 million, has suddenly found himself with a major contender for Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000-guaranteed CashCall Futurity and a 2014 Kentucky Derby prospect.

Alex Solis II was responsible for Rome’s involvement with Mizdirection and was Johnny on the spot when Shared Belief became available.

“I’ve worked with Jerry (Hollendorfer) for about a year now,” Solis explained.  “He told me (Pam and Marty Wygod) had a horse for sale and to take a look at him and put together a partnership.  I went up north the next morning at 5 a.m. and liked what I saw.  I did my homework on him.  He had a real good (speed) figure and his maiden race was very impressive.  All the credit goes to Jerry.”

“Usually it’s so difficult to put these things together, but this was so fast, it was ridiculous.  Jerry took a third, and out of my two thirds, I solid pieces to Rome, Jason Litt and KMN Racing.”

“I think Rome is happy,” understated Solis.

Incidentally, Solis’ father, Alex Solis, is tied with Laffit Pincay, Jr. for most victories among jockeys (4) in the CashCall Futurity.