• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Lightning Strikes Twice for Rome

Shared Belief 615 X 400 Prevue
Photo: Benoit Photos
Who says lightning doesn’t strike twice?

Sports broadcaster Jim Rome, who recently sold two-time Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner Mizdirection for $2.7 million, has suddenly found himself with a major contender for Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000-guaranteed CashCall Futurity and a 2014 Kentucky Derby prospect.

Alex Solis II was responsible for Rome’s involvement with Mizdirection and was Johnny on the spot when Shared Belief became available.

“I’ve worked with Jerry (Hollendorfer) for about a year now,” Solis explained.  “He told me (Pam and Marty Wygod) had a horse for sale and to take a look at him and put together a partnership.  I went up north the next morning at 5 a.m. and liked what I saw.  I did my homework on him.  He had a real good (speed) figure and his maiden race was very impressive.  All the credit goes to Jerry.”

“Usually it’s so difficult to put these things together, but this was so fast, it was ridiculous.  Jerry took a third, and out of my two thirds, I solid pieces to Rome, Jason Litt and KMN Racing.”

“I think Rome is happy,” understated Solis.

Incidentally, Solis’ father, Alex Solis, is tied with Laffit Pincay, Jr. for most victories among jockeys (4) in the CashCall Futurity.