• Sunbean raises his career record to 12-for-19 lifetime with a Delta Mile victory! Posted 14 hours ago
  • Ocho Ocho Ocho edges Mr. Z in the Delta Downs Jackpot! Posted 14 hours ago
  • Take Charge Brandi scores again, this time in the Delta Downs Princess!Posted 15 hours ago
  • Strike Charmer flew away with the Cardinal! Posted 16 hours ago
  • Yahilwa and Mike Smith get the job done in the Treasure Chest!Posted 16 hours ago
  • Honor Code returns a winner in an Aqueduct allowance! Posted 17 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat vs. Bern Identity in 2014 Fabulous Strike at Penn National.Posted 1 day ago
  • Cigar Mile hopeful Itsmyluckyday drilled a 5f bullet in 1:00.40 at GPW on Nov 20.Posted 1 day ago
  • No Problem a game winner of the Bob Hope! Posted 7 days ago
  • Sparkling Review closes powerfully to win the Mrs Revere! Posted 7 days ago

Lightning Strikes Twice for Rome

Shared Belief 615 X 400 Prevue
Photo: Benoit Photos
Who says lightning doesn’t strike twice?

Sports broadcaster Jim Rome, who recently sold two-time Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner Mizdirection for $2.7 million, has suddenly found himself with a major contender for Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000-guaranteed CashCall Futurity and a 2014 Kentucky Derby prospect.

Alex Solis II was responsible for Rome’s involvement with Mizdirection and was Johnny on the spot when Shared Belief became available.

“I’ve worked with Jerry (Hollendorfer) for about a year now,” Solis explained.  “He told me (Pam and Marty Wygod) had a horse for sale and to take a look at him and put together a partnership.  I went up north the next morning at 5 a.m. and liked what I saw.  I did my homework on him.  He had a real good (speed) figure and his maiden race was very impressive.  All the credit goes to Jerry.”

“Usually it’s so difficult to put these things together, but this was so fast, it was ridiculous.  Jerry took a third, and out of my two thirds, I solid pieces to Rome, Jason Litt and KMN Racing.”

“I think Rome is happy,” understated Solis.

Incidentally, Solis’ father, Alex Solis, is tied with Laffit Pincay, Jr. for most victories among jockeys (4) in the CashCall Futurity.