• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 19 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Lava Man back in spotlight

As I'll Have Another walked the shedrow the morning after winning the Kentucky Derby, the horse in the first stall of trainer Doug O'Neill's Barn 3 at Churchill Downs repeatedly tossed his head about as if trying to get the attention of the media crowd that had gathered.

With more than $5.2 million in earnings and seven Grade I wins in a career that spanned six seasons, getting some love was never a problem for the venerable Lava Man.

Though the 11-year-old gelding is done competing on the track, he is once again a popular presence on some of racing's top days.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/15/3612282/lava-man-has-graduated-from-racing.html#storylink=cpy

Older Comments about Lava Man back in spotlight...

Lava Man was always a special horse to me.
I was standing in the break at Churchill one morning when I'll Have Another and Lava Man went out to the track. I could have reached out and touched them when they walked by. I'll Have Another looked very good, but Lava Man had a presence far different than I've ever seen in a pony. He knows he is a special horse, and still looks the part.
Lava Man in essence is a mentor for IHA, gotta love it. They chill in the barn watching past races with Doug and Mario. ;-)