• Cupid (2-5) holds off Curlin Rules in the Harry F. Brubaker.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Ulysses (Galileo) powers by Churchill and Barney Roy in the Group 1 Juddmonte International.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Cracksman (Frankel) cruises to a big victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes at York.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Diversify (1-2) rolls home a big winner in the Evan Shipman.Posted 2 days ago
  • Blackjackcat (8-1) holds off Vyjack to win the Del Mar Mile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 4 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Lava Man back in spotlight

As I'll Have Another walked the shedrow the morning after winning the Kentucky Derby, the horse in the first stall of trainer Doug O'Neill's Barn 3 at Churchill Downs repeatedly tossed his head about as if trying to get the attention of the media crowd that had gathered.

With more than $5.2 million in earnings and seven Grade I wins in a career that spanned six seasons, getting some love was never a problem for the venerable Lava Man.

Though the 11-year-old gelding is done competing on the track, he is once again a popular presence on some of racing's top days.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/15/3612282/lava-man-has-graduated-from-racing.html#storylink=cpy

Older Comments about Lava Man back in spotlight...

Lava Man was always a special horse to me.
I was standing in the break at Churchill one morning when I'll Have Another and Lava Man went out to the track. I could have reached out and touched them when they walked by. I'll Have Another looked very good, but Lava Man had a presence far different than I've ever seen in a pony. He knows he is a special horse, and still looks the part.
Lava Man in essence is a mentor for IHA, gotta love it. They chill in the barn watching past races with Doug and Mario. ;-)