• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 1 day ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 4 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 4 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 4 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 4 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Lava Man back in spotlight

As I'll Have Another walked the shedrow the morning after winning the Kentucky Derby, the horse in the first stall of trainer Doug O'Neill's Barn 3 at Churchill Downs repeatedly tossed his head about as if trying to get the attention of the media crowd that had gathered.

With more than $5.2 million in earnings and seven Grade I wins in a career that spanned six seasons, getting some love was never a problem for the venerable Lava Man.

Though the 11-year-old gelding is done competing on the track, he is once again a popular presence on some of racing's top days.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/15/3612282/lava-man-has-graduated-from-racing.html#storylink=cpy

Older Comments about Lava Man back in spotlight...

Lava Man was always a special horse to me.
I was standing in the break at Churchill one morning when I'll Have Another and Lava Man went out to the track. I could have reached out and touched them when they walked by. I'll Have Another looked very good, but Lava Man had a presence far different than I've ever seen in a pony. He knows he is a special horse, and still looks the part.
Lava Man in essence is a mentor for IHA, gotta love it. They chill in the barn watching past races with Doug and Mario. ;-)