• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Lava Man back in spotlight

As I'll Have Another walked the shedrow the morning after winning the Kentucky Derby, the horse in the first stall of trainer Doug O'Neill's Barn 3 at Churchill Downs repeatedly tossed his head about as if trying to get the attention of the media crowd that had gathered.

With more than $5.2 million in earnings and seven Grade I wins in a career that spanned six seasons, getting some love was never a problem for the venerable Lava Man.

Though the 11-year-old gelding is done competing on the track, he is once again a popular presence on some of racing's top days.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/15/3612282/lava-man-has-graduated-from-racing.html#storylink=cpy

Older Comments about Lava Man back in spotlight...

Lava Man was always a special horse to me.
I was standing in the break at Churchill one morning when I'll Have Another and Lava Man went out to the track. I could have reached out and touched them when they walked by. I'll Have Another looked very good, but Lava Man had a presence far different than I've ever seen in a pony. He knows he is a special horse, and still looks the part.
Lava Man in essence is a mentor for IHA, gotta love it. They chill in the barn watching past races with Doug and Mario. ;-)