• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 2 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 2 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 2 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 2 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 2 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 2 days ago

Lady Alexander Ready for Red Cross Stakes

Blue Star Stable’s Lady Alexander, who has a solid record at Monmouth Park, looks like she’s in the right spot to add to her bankroll in Saturday’s $100,000 Red Cross Stakes for fillies and mares.

Her trainer, Bruce Alexander, thinks so.

“I had her entered in the Vagrancy (G2) at Belmont last weekend,” Alexander said, “but that was such a tough spot, I knew I had to scratch. It wasn’t the spot for her. I’ve been through that before.”

Lady Alexander, an Exchange Rate filly, had a good season at 3, winning the Mongo Queen Stakes here and the Honey Bee at the Meadowlands. But she’s 4 now, and Alexander says that’s when he went astray with Emerald Earrings, who was terrific at 3 and a stakes winner at 5 and 6. But at 4, she was a bust.

“I managed her flawlessly at 3, if I do say so myself,” Alexander said. “The next year, I did everything wrong. Completely. I started chasing graded stakes with her, going after the money. I kept putting her in impossible spots, and she didn’t win a race that year.”
The trainer said he almost slipped back into that with Lady Alexander, but withdrew her in favor of Saturday’s six-furlong test here.

“The Red Cross is a very competitive race,” Alexander said. “It’s a great betting race, with four or five fillies who can win. But my filly belongs here. She can do her best here. And I have to do my best by her.”

Lady Alexander, who won the Manatee Stakes at Tampa Bay in January, hasn’t run since February, but has been training smartly for her local debut. She shows nothing but bullets in all her workouts.

“I don’t think she’s ever worked where she didn’t get the bullet,” the trainer said. “That’s just her. She puts as much into her works as she does into a race.

“I’m expecting a big performance from her,” Alexander said. “She’s a very solid filly, sound and willing to try anything.”