• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 4 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 4 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 4 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 4 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Lady Alexander Ready for Red Cross Stakes

Blue Star Stable’s Lady Alexander, who has a solid record at Monmouth Park, looks like she’s in the right spot to add to her bankroll in Saturday’s $100,000 Red Cross Stakes for fillies and mares.

Her trainer, Bruce Alexander, thinks so.

“I had her entered in the Vagrancy (G2) at Belmont last weekend,” Alexander said, “but that was such a tough spot, I knew I had to scratch. It wasn’t the spot for her. I’ve been through that before.”

Lady Alexander, an Exchange Rate filly, had a good season at 3, winning the Mongo Queen Stakes here and the Honey Bee at the Meadowlands. But she’s 4 now, and Alexander says that’s when he went astray with Emerald Earrings, who was terrific at 3 and a stakes winner at 5 and 6. But at 4, she was a bust.

“I managed her flawlessly at 3, if I do say so myself,” Alexander said. “The next year, I did everything wrong. Completely. I started chasing graded stakes with her, going after the money. I kept putting her in impossible spots, and she didn’t win a race that year.”
The trainer said he almost slipped back into that with Lady Alexander, but withdrew her in favor of Saturday’s six-furlong test here.

“The Red Cross is a very competitive race,” Alexander said. “It’s a great betting race, with four or five fillies who can win. But my filly belongs here. She can do her best here. And I have to do my best by her.”

Lady Alexander, who won the Manatee Stakes at Tampa Bay in January, hasn’t run since February, but has been training smartly for her local debut. She shows nothing but bullets in all her workouts.

“I don’t think she’s ever worked where she didn’t get the bullet,” the trainer said. “That’s just her. She puts as much into her works as she does into a race.

“I’m expecting a big performance from her,” Alexander said. “She’s a very solid filly, sound and willing to try anything.”