• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 10 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs

Jockey Eliska Kubinova was a smash in her Betfair Hollywood Park debut, winning with her first mount for some renowned connections Sunday.

Kubinova, who set an Emerald Downs record for wins (76) by an apprentice earlier this year, directed Valeria to a come-from-behind victory for owners Jerry and Ann Moss and trainer John Shirreffs – of Zenyatta fame – in the $20,000 maiden claiming affair.

A 23-year-old native of the Czech Republic, Kubinova had been working horses locally before getting her opportunity in the day’s final race.

“I can’t believe it’s true,’’ said Kubinova, whose agent is George Ortuzar. “I was alone in the (female jockey’s) room all day, so I really didn’t get a chance to talk to anybody. I read the Daily Racing Form on all the horses and I saw all of her races on tape.

“I talked with John earlier about this horse, so he really didn’t say much when he gave me a leg up. He told me she might be a little slow early because she gets nervous. I just tried to calm her down and make a run. Once I found room I was confident.’’

A nine-time loser against better company prior to Sunday, Valeria won by 2 ¾ lengths as the 9-2 third choice in the field of 13. The 5-year-old Elusive Quality mare was claimed out of the race by trainer Peter Miller for Altamira Racing Stable.

Photo courtesy of Benoit Photo

Older Comments about Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs...

That's the way to make your debut at BHP, Eliska.