• Cloud Computing will not run in the Belmont Stakes, instead waiting for Saratoga's Jim Dandy.Posted 38 minutes ago
  • Cupid (7-1) makes a winning comeback in the Grade 1 Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Illuminant (8-5) sneaks up the rail to capture the Grade 2 Monrovia.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Cowboy Culture (5-2) is the clear victor in the Grade 3 Arlington Classic.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Lady Eli (3-5) keeps Goodyearforroses at bay to win the Grade 1 Gamely.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Finley'sluckycharm (1-5) runs away with the Grade 3 Winning Colors.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Stormy Liberal (1-2) continues downhill turf success in the Grade 3 Daytona.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Starship Jubilee (10-1) rallies to Grade 2 Nassau win.Posted 23 hours ago
  • The breeding rights to Classic Empire have been acquired by Coolmore.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cloud Computing (13-1) edges a game Classic Empire in the Preakness.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Belmont Stakes 2017

Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs

Jockey Eliska Kubinova was a smash in her Betfair Hollywood Park debut, winning with her first mount for some renowned connections Sunday.

Kubinova, who set an Emerald Downs record for wins (76) by an apprentice earlier this year, directed Valeria to a come-from-behind victory for owners Jerry and Ann Moss and trainer John Shirreffs – of Zenyatta fame – in the $20,000 maiden claiming affair.

A 23-year-old native of the Czech Republic, Kubinova had been working horses locally before getting her opportunity in the day’s final race.

“I can’t believe it’s true,’’ said Kubinova, whose agent is George Ortuzar. “I was alone in the (female jockey’s) room all day, so I really didn’t get a chance to talk to anybody. I read the Daily Racing Form on all the horses and I saw all of her races on tape.

“I talked with John earlier about this horse, so he really didn’t say much when he gave me a leg up. He told me she might be a little slow early because she gets nervous. I just tried to calm her down and make a run. Once I found room I was confident.’’

A nine-time loser against better company prior to Sunday, Valeria won by 2 ¾ lengths as the 9-2 third choice in the field of 13. The 5-year-old Elusive Quality mare was claimed out of the race by trainer Peter Miller for Altamira Racing Stable.

Photo courtesy of Benoit Photo

Older Comments about Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs...

That's the way to make your debut at BHP, Eliska.