• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 2 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 3 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 7 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 8 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 9 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 9 days ago

Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs

Jockey Eliska Kubinova was a smash in her Betfair Hollywood Park debut, winning with her first mount for some renowned connections Sunday.

Kubinova, who set an Emerald Downs record for wins (76) by an apprentice earlier this year, directed Valeria to a come-from-behind victory for owners Jerry and Ann Moss and trainer John Shirreffs – of Zenyatta fame – in the $20,000 maiden claiming affair.

A 23-year-old native of the Czech Republic, Kubinova had been working horses locally before getting her opportunity in the day’s final race.

“I can’t believe it’s true,’’ said Kubinova, whose agent is George Ortuzar. “I was alone in the (female jockey’s) room all day, so I really didn’t get a chance to talk to anybody. I read the Daily Racing Form on all the horses and I saw all of her races on tape.

“I talked with John earlier about this horse, so he really didn’t say much when he gave me a leg up. He told me she might be a little slow early because she gets nervous. I just tried to calm her down and make a run. Once I found room I was confident.’’

A nine-time loser against better company prior to Sunday, Valeria won by 2 ¾ lengths as the 9-2 third choice in the field of 13. The 5-year-old Elusive Quality mare was claimed out of the race by trainer Peter Miller for Altamira Racing Stable.

Photo courtesy of Benoit Photo

Older Comments about Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs...

That's the way to make your debut at BHP, Eliska.