• Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 16 hours ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 1 day ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Frosted is pointing to the Breeders' Cup Classic, per his connections.Posted 3 days ago
  • Erupt (IRE) at 12-1 closes to win the $1,000,000 Pattison Canadian International (G1)Posted 6 days ago
  • Al's Gal (6-1) wins the head bob and the E. P. Taylor (G1) at WoodbinePosted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs

Jockey Eliska Kubinova was a smash in her Betfair Hollywood Park debut, winning with her first mount for some renowned connections Sunday.

Kubinova, who set an Emerald Downs record for wins (76) by an apprentice earlier this year, directed Valeria to a come-from-behind victory for owners Jerry and Ann Moss and trainer John Shirreffs – of Zenyatta fame – in the $20,000 maiden claiming affair.

A 23-year-old native of the Czech Republic, Kubinova had been working horses locally before getting her opportunity in the day’s final race.

“I can’t believe it’s true,’’ said Kubinova, whose agent is George Ortuzar. “I was alone in the (female jockey’s) room all day, so I really didn’t get a chance to talk to anybody. I read the Daily Racing Form on all the horses and I saw all of her races on tape.

“I talked with John earlier about this horse, so he really didn’t say much when he gave me a leg up. He told me she might be a little slow early because she gets nervous. I just tried to calm her down and make a run. Once I found room I was confident.’’

A nine-time loser against better company prior to Sunday, Valeria won by 2 ¾ lengths as the 9-2 third choice in the field of 13. The 5-year-old Elusive Quality mare was claimed out of the race by trainer Peter Miller for Altamira Racing Stable.

Photo courtesy of Benoit Photo

Older Comments about Kubinova Wins BHP Debut for Shirreffs...

That's the way to make your debut at BHP, Eliska.