• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 3 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 3 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Kitten's Dumplings Roars Home in Edgewood

Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s homebred Kitten’s Dumplings roared past the field at the eighth pole en route to a 3 3/4-length victory over Praia to win the 28th running of the $172,500 Edgewood presented by Forcht Bank for 3-year-old fillies on Friday afternoon at Churchill Downs.

Trained by Mike Maker and ridden by Joel Rosario, Kitten’s Dumplings covered the 1 1/16 miles on a firm Matt Winn Turf Course in 1:41.24. Kitten’s Dumplings gave the Ramseys their second consecutive victory on the Edgewood, having won with Stephanie’s Kitten last year.

The victory was worth $101,603 and improved Kitten’s Dumplings’ bankroll to $245,351 with a record of 8-3-1-0.

Kitten’s Dumplings is a Kentucky-bred daughter of Kitten’s Joy out of the Grand Slam mare Granny Franny.

Kitten’s Dumplings returned $8.40, $5.40 and $4.20. Praia, ridden by Alan Garcia, returned $36 and $15.80 with Broken Spell finishing third a half-length back under Miguel Mena and returning $9.20 to show.

Tokyo Time finished a nose back in fourth and was followed in order by Judy In Disguise (GB), Adriani, Birdlover (GB), Street of Gold and Private Ensign. Wave Theory lost rider Julien Leparoux at the start.

EDGEWOOD QUOTES

Mike Maker, trainer of Kitten’s Dumplings, winner: “What more can you say about Joel (Rosario) now? He’s in the zone. He’s making all the right decisions and riding with a lot of confidence. I am glad he is on our team. I didn’t give him any instructions since we know she comes from off the pace and he put her in the right position to win.”

Joel Rosario, rider on Kitten’s Dumplings, winner: “Perfect. She did really well today but that’s kind of how she always is. When I rode her last time I was a little close to the pace but now I just took my time and let her finish up and she was there. She looked good.”

Alan Garcia, rider on Praia, runner-up: “Definitely he belonged in the race. She was working good. She ran a huge race last time she broke the maiden. So I was looking forward to riding her this time, to have the opportunity. So I can’t complain about it. Just second best. I saved some ground, came running.’’

Miguel Mena, rider on Broken Spell, third: “A lot of trouble. Just in the stretch, I couldn’t get clear when I needed to.’’