• Enola Gray remains undefeated in 3 starts after running away with the Fleet Treat.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Heavily favored Enola Gray makes short work of her competition in the Fleet Treat.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Ancient Secret takes the Lake George (G2).Posted 13 hours ago
  • Sweet Loretta the strong winner of the Schuylerville (G3).Posted 14 hours ago
  • Pretty N Cool flaunts her class in the C.E.R.F. Stakes at Del Mar.Posted 2 days ago
  • Superstar turf horse, Postponed will not defend in Saturday's King George due to respiratory infection.Posted 2 days ago
  • Midnight Storm proves too tough to pass in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 5 days ago
  • Barleysugar (10-1) makes short work of the Sandy Blue in her U.S. debut.Posted 5 days ago
  • Miss Freeze (8-1) ices her competition with a debut win in the Lynbrook Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • There's no catching Midnight Miley (27-1) in the Ontario Matron.Posted 5 days ago

Kid Kate Stands Tall in Correction

Kid Kate made her 4-year-old debut a winning one Saturday afternoon at Aqueduct Racetrack, getting up just in time to win the $65,000 Correction Stakes for fillies and mares.

Patiently ridden by Ramon Dominguez through a quarter in 22.59 and a half in 45.52, Kid Kate advanced steadily on the outside to run down favored Meese Rocks in the shadow of the wire and prevail by a neck.

Her final time for the six furlongs was 1:10.30 over Aqueduct’s fast inner track.

“It felt like she came out running pretty well,” Dominguez said. “When I saw them five lengths in front of me, I assumed they were going too fast and hoped they’d come back to me, and I think that was the case. They came back to me after being softened up by the pace.”

It was the third career stakes victory for the daughter of Lemon Drop Kid, who had not run since a second place effort in the Foil overnight stakes at Aqueduct on November 20. With the $39,000 winner’s purse in the Correction, the filly has now earned $221,929 for owner and breeder Dell Ridge Farm, with a lifetime record of 5-2-1 from 10 starts.

“I thought Ramon timed it perfectly, even though I was a little concerned in the stretch that she wouldn’t get up because I think three-quarters is a touch short for her,” said trainer Chad Brown. “My assistant up there, Cherie DeVaux, has done a really good job with her.”

The 7-5 second choice in the field of seven, Kid Kate returned $4.90 for a $2 win wager. Purrfect Bluff checked in third, with Honor Hymn, Brilliant Sunshine, Heaven’s Voice and Come Sunday completing the order of finish. Five Grand Girl – who was cross-entered in and won a starter allowance at Aqueduct on Friday – was scratched.

“It looked like she ran a hard race, so we’ll see how she comes out of it,” Brown said. “I’ll nominate her to everything and see how it goes, but with the Barbara Fritchie [Grade 2, February 19, Laurel Park] being seven-eighths and graded, I’d lean towards that if she comes back in good shape.”