• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 1 day ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 1 day ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 1 day ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 2 days ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 3 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 7 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 7 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 7 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Kentucky Oaks Workout Report - May 1

Close Hatches 615 X 400
Photo: Eclipse Sportswire
The last couple of days have heated up.  I was forced to break out my red head SPF 250 in order to survive the morning scouting expedition.  Every 15 minutes a new coat is applied. Survival guide for a red head in the sun.  The majority of the horses did not seem too affected by the heat.  Lucky them.

My final thoughts on the OAKS:  I have landed on CLOSE HATCHES.  The Bill Mott trained filly caught my eye on the first day and has not disappointed on any day since.  There is something about her that screams quality.  From her morning gallops to the dynamite solo half mile, she has done nothing wrong.  Now she gets a chance to tackle one of the toughest Oaks fields in a long time.  I wish her good luck.  And so does my wallet.  All she has to do is . . . . beat the freaky Baffert gray MIDNIGHT LUCKY after she burned a hole in the ground in her drill over the track . . . .  DREAMING OF JULIA the 10,000 length winner of the Gulfstream Oaks, in which she logged a 5002 beyer in the process . . . UNLIMITED BUDGET, the filly that turned in arguably the best drill of any of the OAKS/DERBY contingent . . . can of corn.  Any of the other contenders would surprise me on the win end, which probably means we should press all in the Oaks part of the Oaks-Derby double.

The Derby PP's are out.  This bird dog needs to start digging through that madness.

Please gamble responsibly.

Older Comments about Kentucky Oaks Workout Report - May 1 ...

Close Hatches is my pick also. she moves over the course wonderfully. She will be tough.
OK I give up. Why do you like Silsita?
why do I like Silsita........