• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 1 day ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 2 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 2 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 2 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 2 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

Kentucky Derby 2013 Contenders – Can Goldencents go the distance?

Goldencents continues to make inroads on the Kentucky Derby 2013 trail. He followed up a sharp wire job in the Delta Jackpot with a solid stalk and pounce victory in the one mile Sham Stakes at Santa Anita Park on January 6.

Bob Baffert trainee Manando carved out the Sham splits with Goldencents parked to his outside. Kevin Krigger pulled the trigger on Doug O’Neill’s charge in the lane and he came home 1-1/2 lengths to the good, earning a rock solid 93 BSF.

Den’s Legacy saved all the ground under Gomez and caught Manando for the place, giving Baffert a 2-3 finish.

Goldencents reminds me of Tapizar and figures to be effective up to a mile and a sixteenth. He has done everything asked of him and owns dangerous early-pressing speed. I will keep an open mind in regards to getting ten panels on the first Saturday in May, but at this point I have my doubts.

Older Comments about Kentucky Derby 2013 Contenders – Can Goldencents go the distance?...

I dont like this horses chances over 9F
He's an undeniably talented colt, and I anticipate his spring season. That said, his sire is sprinter Into Mischief, and his grandsire if Harlan’s Holiday, who finished second in multiple 10 furlong stakes, but seemed to run his best at 9 furlongs. Goldencents’ dam is Golden Works, who found her success sprinting in the claiming ranks. His broodmare sire is Banker’s Gold, who won on occasion 9 furlongs, but did his best running at shorter distances. I really like him at his current distance, but I'll keep my money to myself when things get long. Of course, you've always got a Smarty Jones or War Emblem who screws things up for us pedigree geeks!
He's the lone pacemaker. For all I care he's competitive up to 12f and on, add a furlong and he becomes more and more dangerous. This looks like another War Emblem year
Goldencents can have a nice spring but the Triple Crown races may prove a little too long: http://bit.ly/YU90Ig