• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 2 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 2 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 2 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 2 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 2 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 2 days ago

Kentucky Derby 2013 Contenders – Can Goldencents go the distance?

Goldencents continues to make inroads on the Kentucky Derby 2013 trail. He followed up a sharp wire job in the Delta Jackpot with a solid stalk and pounce victory in the one mile Sham Stakes at Santa Anita Park on January 6.

Bob Baffert trainee Manando carved out the Sham splits with Goldencents parked to his outside. Kevin Krigger pulled the trigger on Doug O’Neill’s charge in the lane and he came home 1-1/2 lengths to the good, earning a rock solid 93 BSF.

Den’s Legacy saved all the ground under Gomez and caught Manando for the place, giving Baffert a 2-3 finish.

Goldencents reminds me of Tapizar and figures to be effective up to a mile and a sixteenth. He has done everything asked of him and owns dangerous early-pressing speed. I will keep an open mind in regards to getting ten panels on the first Saturday in May, but at this point I have my doubts.

Older Comments about Kentucky Derby 2013 Contenders – Can Goldencents go the distance?...

I dont like this horses chances over 9F
He's an undeniably talented colt, and I anticipate his spring season. That said, his sire is sprinter Into Mischief, and his grandsire if Harlan’s Holiday, who finished second in multiple 10 furlong stakes, but seemed to run his best at 9 furlongs. Goldencents’ dam is Golden Works, who found her success sprinting in the claiming ranks. His broodmare sire is Banker’s Gold, who won on occasion 9 furlongs, but did his best running at shorter distances. I really like him at his current distance, but I'll keep my money to myself when things get long. Of course, you've always got a Smarty Jones or War Emblem who screws things up for us pedigree geeks!
He's the lone pacemaker. For all I care he's competitive up to 12f and on, add a furlong and he becomes more and more dangerous. This looks like another War Emblem year
Goldencents can have a nice spring but the Triple Crown races may prove a little too long: http://bit.ly/YU90Ig