• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 1 day ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 4 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 4 days ago

Kara's Orientation Takes Shorter Route

An expert in orienteering would have had trouble tracking down Kara's Orientation in his most recent start, a victory in the Grade 2 Sky Classic Stakes.

The dark bay colt opened up a 17-length lead under jockey Emile Ramsammy down the backstretch of the mile and a quarter turf tilt and cruised to the wire an easy two and a quarter length winner.

As easy a win as it was for the horse, it took its toll on trainer Steven Chircop.

"To see him in front like that by 17 lengths, if you had a video camera on me, I had my head in my hands," laughed Chircop. "I think he went 25 (seconds) to the quarter(-mile), but he picked it up and hit the half in 48 (seconds) and change, it was gruesome. At the top of the lane, Ramsammy hadn't moved on him yet, and I knew he was running against good horses, but he was moving so easy and he's such a gutsy horse.  I was concerned, but he was so relaxed."

Grassy, the fourth-place finisher in the Sky Classic, won last Saturday's Grade 2 Bowling Green at Belmont in his next start, proving a solid reference for the son of Orientate-Crissy Aya.

Chircop, who had the option of racing in the twelve-furlong Northern Dancer, settled on taking the shorter route for his charge's next start.

"In a perfect world, the Mile might be a bit too short and the mile and a half might be a bit too far," started Chircop. "But, if we go a mile and a half against a bigger field, carrying more weight...that was the factor for us going to the Mile."

Although Kara's Orientation has hooked a tough and speedy field in the Mile, which includes pace-pressing Courageous Cat, the conditioner believes Ramsammy can manage his speed.

"A lot of people think he's one dimensional, but, really he's not the kind of horse that has to be on the lead," said Chircop. "He's just as effective a horse if he has a target to run at."