• Favorite Tara's Tango surges to win the Santa Maria at the wire.Posted 19 hours ago
  • O'Neill's strengthens his stable of 3-year-olds as Frank Conversation wins the El Camino Real Derby.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Bolo nabs Obviously in the final strides of the Arcadia.Posted 22 hours ago
  • BC Mile heroine Tepin crushes her foes in the Lambholm South Endeavor Stakes. Posted 23 hours ago
  • Dancing House is ultra-game in taking the Barbara Fritchie.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Penwith scores in the Royal Delta at Gulfstream Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Destin rolls home in the Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs.Posted 1 day ago
  • Polar River wins the UAE 1000 Guineas by a pole.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kobe's Back goes from last to first down the stretch to win the Palos Verdes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Storied Lady (4-1) up the rail to nip Saythreehailmary's in the Biogio's Rose.Posted 7 days ago

Joe Vann Pulls Away in Illinois Derby

Trainer Todd Pletcher has had his success through the years at Hawthorne and he was successful once again this year when Joe Vann was victorious in the Grade 3, $300,000 TVG Illinois Derby at Hawthorne.

Owned by Zayat Stables, LLC and ridden by Florent Geroux, the three-year-old Silver Deputy colt stalked the early pace set by Lagoon of Diamonds through fractions of :23.81, :48.37 and 1:13.65. Moving at the top of the stretch, Geroux and Joe Vann took over and opened up, winning in runaway style by 4 1/4 lengths, stopping the clock for the 1 1/8 mile distance on the fast track in 1:51.91.

Zoebear closed late after a rail trip to finish second, followed by The Fed Eased, and Sour. Sent off at odds of 5-1, Joe Vann returned $12.60, $6.80 and $5.20. Zoebear came back $8.80 and $6.20 while The Fed Eased returned $6.20.

With the win, Joe Vann earned $167,400, boosting his career earnings to $217,615, to put him into the mix for drawing into the field for the Grade 1 Kentucky Derby, though he isn’t nominated to the Triple Crown.

Winning rider Florent Geroux was elated. “My instructions were simply to enjoy myself. Mike, Mr. Pletcher’s assistant, told me to place him wherever I wanted. He told me that he had good natural speed and I could place him close if I wanted to. So, that’s what I did. He ran a very good race. I was only about a half-length off the leader. When I asked him at the quarter pole, he just took off. The thing that helped me was that I watched a couple of his races. In one of his maiden races, at Saratoga last August, he beat Mucho Macho Man who could be one of the top Kentucky Derby contenders. “I knew he was a very nice horse. “This race was huge. The win in the Illinois Derby was one of the biggest of my career. I really like Hawthorne. I want to thank all of the horsemen who helped me. I am very proud to ride for Mr. Pletcher today. I would like to thank him, his owners, and all involved.”

Seth Martinez, the rider of second-place finisher, Zoebear, was equally happy. “The trainer (Scott Becker) told me, being on the outside, to get him out of the gate in good order, take him back, and make one run with him. That’s what I did. I followed instructions. I was fortunate enough to get through on the fence. It worked out really well.”

Morning-line favorite Watch Me Go finished sixth. According to rider Luis Garcia, "He was training like a monster. On the backstretch he was off the bit a little bit; he's not like that, he's usually on the bit. When I asked him he didn't have anything. He acted like he was going to do it, but he just stayed even."