• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 3 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 3 days ago

Jockey Trevor McCarthy Wins Four at Laurel

Mike McCarthy won 2,907 races as a jockey before retiring in 2002. His 18-year-old son Trevor is now 2,891 victories behind after a four-win afternoon at Laurel Park to ring in the new year.

McCarthy visited the winners’ circle aboard Kincaid ($3.20-second for trainer Dale Capuano), Merryland Moon ($5.60-fourth for trainer Mike Trombetta), Bluegrass Kopp ($24.80-fifth for trainer Ferris Allen) and Proud Daddy ($18.20-seventh for trainer Linda Albert).

“I had never won more than one a day so to win four is really exciting. What a great way to start the new year,” said McCarthy, who galloped horses for trainer Graham Motion at the Fair Hill Training Center while in high school. “My mom told me when I graduated I could do whatever I wanted and this is something I have wanted my whole life. My dad put me on horses when I was real young. I hope to be as good as him one day.”

Mike McCarthy had six consecutive 200-win seasons from 1995-2000, while riding at Delaware Park.

After graduating from high school last spring, Trevor McCarthy began riding at Parx Racing before relocating to Maryland last month. He had two wins from 31 mounts during the Laurel fall meeting, which ended yesterday.

“Maryland is known to be a good place for a bug rider,” added McCarthy.

Maryland-based riders have captured nine of the 41 Eclipse Awards for Outstanding Apprentice with Chris McCarron (1974), Ronnie Franklin (1978), Alberto Delgado (1982), Allen Stacy (1986), Kent Desormeaux (1987), Mike Luzzi (1989), Mark Johnston (1990), Jeremy Rose (2001) and Ryan Fogelsonger (2002) all being honored.

MARSHUA STAKES DID NOT FILL

Saturday’s card will not have a stakes race after the $100,000 Marshua Stakes did not fill. Only three of the 10 three-year-old fillies entered, according to Maryland Jockey Club assistant racing secretary Jillian Sofarelli. The nine-race program will be headlined instead by a $47,000 optional claimer allowance sprint for fillies and mares.