• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Jockey John Velazquez Continues Recovery

John Velazquez 615 X 400
Photo: Eclipse Sportswire
Jockey John Velazquez, Chairman of the Jockeys' Guild, continues to recover at his home in Long Island, New York. Velazquez was injured on November 2 at Santa Anita Racetrack when his mount, Secret Compass, broke down during the running of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies.

"Thankfully, the paramedics were there to work on me right away and made the decision to go to a trauma hospital. That helped saved my life," said Velazquez.

After the accident, Velazquez was taken to Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena. Upon arrival, the trauma team set to work on Velazquez. It was quickly determined he had severe internal injuries and within minutes was taken in for emergency surgery. Surgeons removed Velazquez' spleen and repaired a damaged pancreas.

"I would like to thank Dr. Brian Lugo and Dr. Jonathan Phillips," said Velazquez.  "The doctors, my nurses in ICU, and entire staff were excellent. They took really good care of me."

Velazquez spent five days in the hospital and another five days in California before returning home to New York.

"So many people helped Leona and me while we were in California," Velazquez said. "We'd like to thank Craig Fravel and the Breeders' Cup for their help when Leona and I needed to stay longer. Mr. Scott Ford (who owned Secret Compass) was responsible in getting my children and us home to New York and we are very thankful for his help."

"We'd also like to thank Bob and Jill Baffert for their help and kindness," added Velazquez.

According to doctors in New York, Velazquez' recovery is progressing nicely and will follow up with another appointment next month.

"I really wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes," said Velazquez.  "I really appreciate it. I'm doing well and looking forward to a full recovery."

Older Comments about Jockey John Velazquez Continues Recovery...

And rafi told me "it was ridiculous to pray for him" Glad Johnny V mentioned he was grateful for them all!
Speedy recovery and best wishes to Johnny V.
@rafirox...There it is, he appreciate his fans for the well wishes and prayers.