• American Pharoah drew post position #5 as the 3-5 favorite in a field of 8 for the Belmont.Posted 17 minutes ago
  • Lady Eli remains unbeaten with her victory in the Wonder Again at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Force the Pass just gets up in the $500,000 Penn Mile with a late rush.Posted 3 days ago
  • Catch A Flight outduels Moreno to the wire in the Californian.Posted 3 days ago
  • It's all Golden Lad in the Mountainview at Penn National.Posted 3 days ago
  • Amelia's Wild Ride just holds off Ben's Cat to win the Pennsylvania Governor's Cup.Posted 3 days ago
  • Spanish Queen edges by Feathered down the lane to win the Grade 1 American Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Divisidero relentless from the outside to get up in the Pennine Ridge.Posted 3 days ago
  • Delicious run by The Pizza Man to win the Opening Verse.Posted 3 days ago
  • Alsvid upsets champion Work All Week in the Aristides at Churchill Downs.Posted 3 days ago

Jockey John Velazquez Continues Recovery

John Velazquez 615 X 400
Photo: Eclipse Sportswire
Jockey John Velazquez, Chairman of the Jockeys' Guild, continues to recover at his home in Long Island, New York. Velazquez was injured on November 2 at Santa Anita Racetrack when his mount, Secret Compass, broke down during the running of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies.

"Thankfully, the paramedics were there to work on me right away and made the decision to go to a trauma hospital. That helped saved my life," said Velazquez.

After the accident, Velazquez was taken to Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena. Upon arrival, the trauma team set to work on Velazquez. It was quickly determined he had severe internal injuries and within minutes was taken in for emergency surgery. Surgeons removed Velazquez' spleen and repaired a damaged pancreas.

"I would like to thank Dr. Brian Lugo and Dr. Jonathan Phillips," said Velazquez.  "The doctors, my nurses in ICU, and entire staff were excellent. They took really good care of me."

Velazquez spent five days in the hospital and another five days in California before returning home to New York.

"So many people helped Leona and me while we were in California," Velazquez said. "We'd like to thank Craig Fravel and the Breeders' Cup for their help when Leona and I needed to stay longer. Mr. Scott Ford (who owned Secret Compass) was responsible in getting my children and us home to New York and we are very thankful for his help."

"We'd also like to thank Bob and Jill Baffert for their help and kindness," added Velazquez.

According to doctors in New York, Velazquez' recovery is progressing nicely and will follow up with another appointment next month.

"I really wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes," said Velazquez.  "I really appreciate it. I'm doing well and looking forward to a full recovery."

Older Comments about Jockey John Velazquez Continues Recovery...

And rafi told me "it was ridiculous to pray for him" Glad Johnny V mentioned he was grateful for them all!
Speedy recovery and best wishes to Johnny V.
@rafirox...There it is, he appreciate his fans for the well wishes and prayers.