• Competitive Edge returns in style at Gulfstream Park, leaving Mr. Jordan in his wake.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Shared Belief will run next in the Charles Town Classic, according to Jim Rome.Posted 18 hours ago
  • California Chrome draws the #9 post in the $10 million Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Firing Line romps home in the Sunland Derby by a pole!Posted 4 days ago
  • Maybellene is put in the Sunland Park Oaks, as Callback is disqualified.Posted 4 days ago
  • El Kabeir works 5F in 59.97 at Belmont Park in preparation for the Wood Memorial on April 4Posted 5 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar surprises in the San Luis Rey at Santa AnitaPosted 5 days ago
  • Dubai Sky upsets Turfway Park's Spiral Stakes Posted 5 days ago
  • Don't Leave Me takes the Bourbonette Oaks (G3) at Turfway ParkPosted 5 days ago
  • By The Moon rolls in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 6 days ago

Jockey Joe Talamo Notches 1,000th Win

Joe Talamo, a 22-year-old native of Marrero, Louisiana, notched his 1,000th career victory on Thursday at Santa Anita, winning the fourth race aboard heavily favored Splendid Fortune, who is conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert and is owned by her breeder, Arnold Zetcher. Making her second career start, Splendid Fortune was off at odds of 2-5 and won by 7 ¼ lengths.

“That was fun. It’s nice to get it out of the way early,” said Talamo.

“My mom was the one who gave me permission to ride at a young age but I had to tow the line,” said Talamo in an interview with HRTV’s Kurt Hoover. “It was ‘Yes ma’am, no ma’am,’ or I got a whipping. I really have to give all the credit to my parents for letting me start at such a young age to do what I wanted to do, and it paid off. I left school when I was in the 10th grade and they’ve always supported me.”

Talamo jokingly acknowledged that his original plan was to only ride temporarily in Southern California five years ago, “but the weather’s so good out here I decided to stay.”

Currently fourth in the Santa Anita jockey standings with 39 wins, Talamo has clearly established himself as one of the premier young riders in the country.

“He never says ‘no,’” said Scott McClellan, his agent for the past five years. “He’ll work any horse I ask him to, anytime and anywhere. He’s got a great work ethic and a great sense of humor. He’s fun to be around and always kidding. He’s really a pleasure to work for."

“Leaving home at age 16 and then coming out here like he did, he must’ve had a great upbringing. His parents did a great job with him.”

McClellan also pointed out Talamo’s willingness to avail himself to all kinds of media. “He’s a great ambassador for the game. He’s always sending out stuff on Twitter or FaceBook or email. He’s always there for the press.”

Two of Talamo’s biggest career wins have come in prestigious Kentucky Derby preps. He won the 2009 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct with I Want Revenge and the 2010 Santa Anita Derby with Sidney’s Candy.

Talamo has been named to ride longshot Blueskiesnrainbows in this Saturday’s Santa Anita Derby. A Virginia-bred colt by English Channel, Blueskienrainbows is trained by Baffert and is 20-1 on the Derby morning line.

Older Comments about Jockey Joe Talamo Notches 1,000th Win ...

What a great way to get his 1,000th! One of my favorite jocks, glad to see him reach that milestone and get it over with.