• Capla Temptress (5-1) rolls home in the Natalma, while making her North American debut.Posted 2 days ago
  • Untamed Domain (3-1) kicks it in late to win the Summer Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 2 days ago
  • World Approval (2-1) shows he is much the best in the Grade 1 Woodbine Mile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Patrona Margarita (23-1) draws clear in the Grade 2 Pocahontas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uni (6-5) runs down La Coronel in the Grade 2 Sands Point.Posted 3 days ago
  • Johnny Bear (9-1) noses out Hawkbill in the Grade 1 Northern Dancer Turf.Posted 3 days ago
  • Chublicious (10-1) upsets the Grade 3 Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash.Posted 3 days ago
  • The Tabulator (4-1) holds on in the Grade 3 Iroquois despite drifting out.Posted 3 days ago
  • Quidura (2-5) proves best in Grade 2 Canadian.Posted 3 days ago
  • Winx rolls late in the Colgate Optic White Stakes for her 20th straight victory!Posted 4 days ago

Jockey Garrett Gomez Back in Winners Circle

Jockey Garrett Gomez, who fractured his left heel in a paddock mishap on Jan. 8 which subsequently required reconstructive surgery, won his first race since the injury in Saturday’s second race, stalking the early pace and guiding the Neil Drysdale-conditioned Smug to a 1 ½ length win going 1 ¼ miles on turf in 1:59.50.

“He pulled pretty good, which makes it tougher, but I can handle it,” said Gomez, North America’s Eclipse Award winning rider in 2007 and ’08. “I’m happy just to be back. I prepare to win every time I go out there but the main thing for me right now is that I’m able to handle this physically and keep the pain under control.

“I worked two horses this morning and it really helped me. I felt much better and I wasn’t limping like I have been when I walked out to the paddock to ride.”

Owned by Robert S. Evans, Smug paid $8.00, $4.20 and $3.00. According to the Equibase chart, Smug, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred colt by El Prado, “…came three wide into the stretch, rallied under left handed urging to gain the lead in deep stretch and won clear.” He tracked early fractions of 24.20, 48.45, 1:12.30 and 1:35.75.

Smug was making his second start off a nine month layoff and now sports a 2-0-2 record from seven starts. With the winner’s share of $34,800, his earnings now stand at $78,910.

Gomez, who initiated his comeback on Thursday finishing second and third with his only two mounts, had no riding engagements Friday. He has three scheduled mounts today, including Twice the Appeal, who is the 5-2 morning line favorite in the featured Grade III, $100,000 Tokyo City Cup.

He is named on three horses at Santa Anita on Sunday, including Hog’s Hollow in the Grade II San Luis Rey Stakes and Cambina in the Grade II Santa Ana Stakes.

Gomez was North America’s leading rider by money-won four consecutive years, 2006, ’07, ’08 and ’09.