• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 12 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Jockey Garrett Gomez Back in Winners Circle

Jockey Garrett Gomez, who fractured his left heel in a paddock mishap on Jan. 8 which subsequently required reconstructive surgery, won his first race since the injury in Saturday’s second race, stalking the early pace and guiding the Neil Drysdale-conditioned Smug to a 1 ½ length win going 1 ¼ miles on turf in 1:59.50.

“He pulled pretty good, which makes it tougher, but I can handle it,” said Gomez, North America’s Eclipse Award winning rider in 2007 and ’08. “I’m happy just to be back. I prepare to win every time I go out there but the main thing for me right now is that I’m able to handle this physically and keep the pain under control.

“I worked two horses this morning and it really helped me. I felt much better and I wasn’t limping like I have been when I walked out to the paddock to ride.”

Owned by Robert S. Evans, Smug paid $8.00, $4.20 and $3.00. According to the Equibase chart, Smug, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred colt by El Prado, “…came three wide into the stretch, rallied under left handed urging to gain the lead in deep stretch and won clear.” He tracked early fractions of 24.20, 48.45, 1:12.30 and 1:35.75.

Smug was making his second start off a nine month layoff and now sports a 2-0-2 record from seven starts. With the winner’s share of $34,800, his earnings now stand at $78,910.

Gomez, who initiated his comeback on Thursday finishing second and third with his only two mounts, had no riding engagements Friday. He has three scheduled mounts today, including Twice the Appeal, who is the 5-2 morning line favorite in the featured Grade III, $100,000 Tokyo City Cup.

He is named on three horses at Santa Anita on Sunday, including Hog’s Hollow in the Grade II San Luis Rey Stakes and Cambina in the Grade II Santa Ana Stakes.

Gomez was North America’s leading rider by money-won four consecutive years, 2006, ’07, ’08 and ’09.