• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 2 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 2 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 2 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 2 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 2 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 8 days ago

Jockey Garrett Gomez Back in Winners Circle

Jockey Garrett Gomez, who fractured his left heel in a paddock mishap on Jan. 8 which subsequently required reconstructive surgery, won his first race since the injury in Saturday’s second race, stalking the early pace and guiding the Neil Drysdale-conditioned Smug to a 1 ½ length win going 1 ¼ miles on turf in 1:59.50.

“He pulled pretty good, which makes it tougher, but I can handle it,” said Gomez, North America’s Eclipse Award winning rider in 2007 and ’08. “I’m happy just to be back. I prepare to win every time I go out there but the main thing for me right now is that I’m able to handle this physically and keep the pain under control.

“I worked two horses this morning and it really helped me. I felt much better and I wasn’t limping like I have been when I walked out to the paddock to ride.”

Owned by Robert S. Evans, Smug paid $8.00, $4.20 and $3.00. According to the Equibase chart, Smug, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred colt by El Prado, “…came three wide into the stretch, rallied under left handed urging to gain the lead in deep stretch and won clear.” He tracked early fractions of 24.20, 48.45, 1:12.30 and 1:35.75.

Smug was making his second start off a nine month layoff and now sports a 2-0-2 record from seven starts. With the winner’s share of $34,800, his earnings now stand at $78,910.

Gomez, who initiated his comeback on Thursday finishing second and third with his only two mounts, had no riding engagements Friday. He has three scheduled mounts today, including Twice the Appeal, who is the 5-2 morning line favorite in the featured Grade III, $100,000 Tokyo City Cup.

He is named on three horses at Santa Anita on Sunday, including Hog’s Hollow in the Grade II San Luis Rey Stakes and Cambina in the Grade II Santa Ana Stakes.

Gomez was North America’s leading rider by money-won four consecutive years, 2006, ’07, ’08 and ’09.