• Cupid (2-5) holds off Curlin Rules in the Harry F. Brubaker.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Ulysses (Galileo) powers by Churchill and Barney Roy in the Group 1 Juddmonte International.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Cracksman (Frankel) cruises to a big victory in the Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes at York.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Diversify (1-2) rolls home a big winner in the Evan Shipman.Posted 2 days ago
  • Blackjackcat (8-1) holds off Vyjack to win the Del Mar Mile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 4 days ago
Saratoga and Del Mar 2017

Jockey Club Gold Cup Likely for Orb

Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey on Sunday expressed satisfaction with Orb's third-place finish in Saturday's Grade 1 Travers, and said the colt likely will make his next start in the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup on September 28.

In the Travers, Orb saved ground while stalking the pace and loomed at the top of the stretch but was unable to match strides with winner Will Take Charge or overtake runner-up Moreno. Orb was ridden by Jose Lezcano, who replaced injured jockey Joel Rosario.

"I thought he ran a great race," said McGaughey, who trains the Kentucky Derby winner for Stuart S. Janney III and Phipps Stable. "He came to the paddock the way I wanted him to, and I thought he had running on his mind. I thought Jose rode him great. He was down on the inside the other two horses, and he couldn't get by Moreno, really, after that slow pace. I'm disappointed we didn't win, but I'm not disappointed in his effort one bit. I thought they did a terrific job with him."

If Orb competes in the Jockey Club Gold Cup, he will be making his first start against older horses. The Travers was his first start since his third in the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes in June.

"Now we've got a good, solid race under his belt, we've got all last winter and spring's stuff behind us," said McGaughey. "I think we can really move forward now. I'm going to look at the Gold Cup. That's not to say the Pennsylvania Derby or the Indiana Derby or something is completely out of the picture, but I think we want to go to the Gold Cup."

Older Comments about Jockey Club Gold Cup Likely for Orb...

my only qualm with orb in the JCGC is that a couple likely entrants are belmont freaks--flat out has only lost at belmont once, and even then he still came in 3rd.
Animal race better than I had expected...SHug is a master at bringing them back.
If thos contest were still at the historical distance, he would be a great fit.
This late in the year, the 3 y/o is almost mature..Only some minor eiphyseal closures remain in the skeletal growth which close by age 5
I wouldn't run him against older horses