• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 11 days ago

Jockey Club Gold Cup Likely for Orb

Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey on Sunday expressed satisfaction with Orb's third-place finish in Saturday's Grade 1 Travers, and said the colt likely will make his next start in the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup on September 28.

In the Travers, Orb saved ground while stalking the pace and loomed at the top of the stretch but was unable to match strides with winner Will Take Charge or overtake runner-up Moreno. Orb was ridden by Jose Lezcano, who replaced injured jockey Joel Rosario.

"I thought he ran a great race," said McGaughey, who trains the Kentucky Derby winner for Stuart S. Janney III and Phipps Stable. "He came to the paddock the way I wanted him to, and I thought he had running on his mind. I thought Jose rode him great. He was down on the inside the other two horses, and he couldn't get by Moreno, really, after that slow pace. I'm disappointed we didn't win, but I'm not disappointed in his effort one bit. I thought they did a terrific job with him."

If Orb competes in the Jockey Club Gold Cup, he will be making his first start against older horses. The Travers was his first start since his third in the Grade 1 Belmont Stakes in June.

"Now we've got a good, solid race under his belt, we've got all last winter and spring's stuff behind us," said McGaughey. "I think we can really move forward now. I'm going to look at the Gold Cup. That's not to say the Pennsylvania Derby or the Indiana Derby or something is completely out of the picture, but I think we want to go to the Gold Cup."

Older Comments about Jockey Club Gold Cup Likely for Orb...

my only qualm with orb in the JCGC is that a couple likely entrants are belmont freaks--flat out has only lost at belmont once, and even then he still came in 3rd.
Animal race better than I had expected...SHug is a master at bringing them back.
If thos contest were still at the historical distance, he would be a great fit.
This late in the year, the 3 y/o is almost mature..Only some minor eiphyseal closures remain in the skeletal growth which close by age 5
I wouldn't run him against older horses