• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Jeranimo Wins Record Third San Gabriel

Jeranimo wins 2014 San Gabriel.
Photo: Benoit Photo
With Track Announcer Trevor Denman bellowing “It’s Jeranimo, coming like a rocket on the outside, and Jeranimo--from last to first, a scintillating performance!...,” 8-year-old Jeranimo, with Rafael Bejarano aloft, overhauled pacesetting Slim Shadey and Corey Nakatani to win Saturday’s Grade II, $200,000 San Gabriel Stakes by 1 ¼ lengths, winning for a record third time while covering 1 1/8 miles on turf in 1:46 flat.

Run for the 67th time Saturday, the San Gabriel was taken for an unprecedented sixth time in-a-row by the remarkable Bejarano.

“This horse loves to sit back and relax,” said Bejarano.  “He doesn’t like to be too close to the lead because he gets too excited.  He was flying at the end and showed me a big kick.  Nakatani was only four or five lengths in front of me, so I knew I just had to wait and I would catch him.  I knew I had a lot of horse and just waited for the stretch.”

A San Gabriel winner in 2010 and 2013, Jeranimo, who is trained by Mike Pender, was second in the 2012 San Gabriel—when he was sent to the front early as the 3-5 favorite.

Off as the 6-5 favorite in a field of seven, Jeranimo paid $4.60, $2.80 and $2.60.  Owned by B.J. Wright and Robert LaPenta, Jeranimo picked up $120,000 for the win, increasing his bankroll to $1,521,364.  He now has 11 wins, six seconds and five thirds from 39 career starts.

“We had backed off his training a little (since running seventh in the Grade I Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint Nov. 2), which I thought was best seeing as how he’s eight years old,” said Pender.  “He didn’t drop as far out of it today as he had in some other races where he just didn’t fire so consequently, he had dead aim on the rest of the field throughout.

“We are going on a race-to-race basis with this horse.  If he starts feeling good, we’ll run him.  As you can see last year we ran him with more time in-between races than the year before.  This race will probably take a little bit out of him so we’ll re-group and see what the future holds.”

English-bred Slim Shadey, ridden to perfection by Nakatani from the rail post position, was sent to the lead through splits of 23.23, 47.30, 1:11.20 and 1:34.34 and looked to have a commanding two-length advantage at the top of the stretch.

"I was hoping some of the other jockeys had been watching races and would realize that speed hasn’t been carrying that much,” said Nakatani.  “He was pressured pretty much the whole way.  I tip my hat to the winner, we got beat by a great horse.”

Off as the 2-1 second choice, Slim Shadey paid $3.80 and $3.20.

It was another 1 ½ lengths back to third place finisher Artic North and Joe Talamo, who finished a half length in front of longshot Utopian.  Off at 9-1, Artic North paid $3.80 to show.

Older Comments about Jeranimo Wins Record Third San Gabriel...

I called Jessie to ask her to google "Jeranimo" so I got the result while I was not at home this evening. But then I thought, what if she gave me the result from another year's San Gabriel. So glad it was today's! One of my favorite horses.