• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 1 day ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 4 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 4 days ago

Jeranimo, The Usual Q.T. Clash in San Gabriel

With no established front-runners in Monday’s Grade II San Gabriel Stakes, the question is, who will set the pace in the mile and one eighth turf race?

Could it be favored Jeranimo, or will it be The Usual Q.T., who will be making his first start in more than seven months?

“We’ve got some speed if we want to use it, but it’s a mile and an eighth,” said Jim Cassidy, trainer of The Usual Q.T. “But being off since last May, he’s going to be fresh, so he’ll be pulling early. As the race draws a little closer, I’ll examine the past performances a little closer.

“Somebody will inherit the lead. I don’t necessarily think it will be me, but somebody will be out there. Somebody’s going to try and steal it.”

Victor Espinoza, who has ridden The Usual Q.T. 15 times in his 22-race career, the last 14 in a row, was not committed to pre-race strategy.

“We’ll see what happens when the gates open,” Espinoza said. “He hasn’t run for a while and I don’t know how the race is going to set up but I just want to let him do his thing and go from there.”

The field for the San Gabriel: Sandor, Corey Nakatani; Ashtar, Kevin Krigger; Norvsky, Rafael Bejarano; Jeranimo, Martin Garcia; The Usual Q.T., Victor Espinoza; and Imponente Purse, Chantal Sutherland.