• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Jakkalberry Takes American St. Leger

Irish-bred Australian-owned Jakkalberry lived up to his advance billing as the horse to beat in the inaugural edition of the $400,000 American St. Leger when the son of Storming Home overtook the pace-setting Illinois-bred Ioya Bigtime to win the mile and eleven-sixteenths race by 2 ¼ lengths in 2:49.01, which establishes the course record for the distance.

“Mrs. (Lucie) Botti (wife of trainer Marco) was very confident in him,” said winning jockey Colm O’Donoghue, who won last year’s Grade I Secretariat Stakes aboard Treasure Beach. “They said he is in good form, he gave me a lot of confidence rating him, we expected a good run. My horse was the class, he can really run.”

“I never heard that (he was the talk of the people heading into the race), I only got here late last night,” said owner Darren Dance of Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock.  “We were confident the horse was in good order. It’s a credit to the Bottis and their whole crew back home. He was just too strong.”

Jakkalberry earned $232,800 for the victory, his first of the year and his 10th in 24 starts overall to push his career bankroll to $1,418,259.

Ioya Bigtime, winner of the Grade III Stars and Stripes as the local prep for the St. Leger, set nearly all the pace in the race through fractions of 50.82 seconds, 1:15.43, 1:41.30 and 2:05.62 before being overtaken by the winner.

“He ran great,” said Jeffrey Sanchez, who rode Ioya Bigtime.  “He gives me everything he has. I’ll get ‘em next time! He’s a great horse, I love him, he loves me, and he gives me everything he’s got.”

German-bred Zuider Zee, who raced third throughout the marathon event, was 6 ¼ lengths in back of the runner-up.

“He ran well,” said his rider William Buick, who captured the 2010 Arlington Million aboard Debussy.  “He hit a flat spot but it didn’t affect him much today. These tight-turning tracks are not ideal for him, and he’s better with a little more cut in the ground.”

Lake Drop, Lemonade Kid, Helicopter, Lumberyard Jack, Lethal and Bridge of Gold completed the finish in the nine-horse field.

Jakkalberry paid $5.20, $3.20 and $2.40 as the 8-5 favorite.  Ioya Bigtime returned $3.60 and $2.80.  Zuider Zee paid $3.20.