• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 4 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

Jakkalberry Takes American St. Leger

Irish-bred Australian-owned Jakkalberry lived up to his advance billing as the horse to beat in the inaugural edition of the $400,000 American St. Leger when the son of Storming Home overtook the pace-setting Illinois-bred Ioya Bigtime to win the mile and eleven-sixteenths race by 2 ¼ lengths in 2:49.01, which establishes the course record for the distance.

“Mrs. (Lucie) Botti (wife of trainer Marco) was very confident in him,” said winning jockey Colm O’Donoghue, who won last year’s Grade I Secretariat Stakes aboard Treasure Beach. “They said he is in good form, he gave me a lot of confidence rating him, we expected a good run. My horse was the class, he can really run.”

“I never heard that (he was the talk of the people heading into the race), I only got here late last night,” said owner Darren Dance of Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock.  “We were confident the horse was in good order. It’s a credit to the Bottis and their whole crew back home. He was just too strong.”

Jakkalberry earned $232,800 for the victory, his first of the year and his 10th in 24 starts overall to push his career bankroll to $1,418,259.

Ioya Bigtime, winner of the Grade III Stars and Stripes as the local prep for the St. Leger, set nearly all the pace in the race through fractions of 50.82 seconds, 1:15.43, 1:41.30 and 2:05.62 before being overtaken by the winner.

“He ran great,” said Jeffrey Sanchez, who rode Ioya Bigtime.  “He gives me everything he has. I’ll get ‘em next time! He’s a great horse, I love him, he loves me, and he gives me everything he’s got.”

German-bred Zuider Zee, who raced third throughout the marathon event, was 6 ¼ lengths in back of the runner-up.

“He ran well,” said his rider William Buick, who captured the 2010 Arlington Million aboard Debussy.  “He hit a flat spot but it didn’t affect him much today. These tight-turning tracks are not ideal for him, and he’s better with a little more cut in the ground.”

Lake Drop, Lemonade Kid, Helicopter, Lumberyard Jack, Lethal and Bridge of Gold completed the finish in the nine-horse field.

Jakkalberry paid $5.20, $3.20 and $2.40 as the 8-5 favorite.  Ioya Bigtime returned $3.60 and $2.80.  Zuider Zee paid $3.20.