• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 1 day ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 5 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 5 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 5 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Jakkalberry Takes American St. Leger

Irish-bred Australian-owned Jakkalberry lived up to his advance billing as the horse to beat in the inaugural edition of the $400,000 American St. Leger when the son of Storming Home overtook the pace-setting Illinois-bred Ioya Bigtime to win the mile and eleven-sixteenths race by 2 ¼ lengths in 2:49.01, which establishes the course record for the distance.

“Mrs. (Lucie) Botti (wife of trainer Marco) was very confident in him,” said winning jockey Colm O’Donoghue, who won last year’s Grade I Secretariat Stakes aboard Treasure Beach. “They said he is in good form, he gave me a lot of confidence rating him, we expected a good run. My horse was the class, he can really run.”

“I never heard that (he was the talk of the people heading into the race), I only got here late last night,” said owner Darren Dance of Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock.  “We were confident the horse was in good order. It’s a credit to the Bottis and their whole crew back home. He was just too strong.”

Jakkalberry earned $232,800 for the victory, his first of the year and his 10th in 24 starts overall to push his career bankroll to $1,418,259.

Ioya Bigtime, winner of the Grade III Stars and Stripes as the local prep for the St. Leger, set nearly all the pace in the race through fractions of 50.82 seconds, 1:15.43, 1:41.30 and 2:05.62 before being overtaken by the winner.

“He ran great,” said Jeffrey Sanchez, who rode Ioya Bigtime.  “He gives me everything he has. I’ll get ‘em next time! He’s a great horse, I love him, he loves me, and he gives me everything he’s got.”

German-bred Zuider Zee, who raced third throughout the marathon event, was 6 ¼ lengths in back of the runner-up.

“He ran well,” said his rider William Buick, who captured the 2010 Arlington Million aboard Debussy.  “He hit a flat spot but it didn’t affect him much today. These tight-turning tracks are not ideal for him, and he’s better with a little more cut in the ground.”

Lake Drop, Lemonade Kid, Helicopter, Lumberyard Jack, Lethal and Bridge of Gold completed the finish in the nine-horse field.

Jakkalberry paid $5.20, $3.20 and $2.40 as the 8-5 favorite.  Ioya Bigtime returned $3.60 and $2.80.  Zuider Zee paid $3.20.