• Even Thunder (5-2) holds on to win the King's Swan.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Effinex, earner of more than $3.3 million, has been retired to stud in New York.Posted 3 days ago
  • Back on dirt, Midnight Storm (8-5) rolls home in the Native Diver.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kitasan Black, the favorite, scores victory in the Japan Cup.Posted 5 days ago
  • Farrell (10-1) easily wires the field in the Grade 2 Golden Rod.Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (3-2) nips Divining Rod in an excellent Cigar Mile stretch duel.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Town (4-1) much the best in the Grade 2 Remsen at Aqueduct.Posted 6 days ago
  • Miss Sky Warrior (5-1) holds off Jamyson 'n Ginger in the Demoiselle.Posted 6 days ago
  • Verve's Tale (20-1) powers by Lewis Bay late to win the Comely.Posted 6 days ago
  • Texas Ryano (2-1) much the best in the Hollywood Turf Cup.Posted 7 days ago

Jacobson Breaks Belmont Park Win Record

Belmont Park
Trainer David Jacobson broke the record for wins during a Belmont Park spring/summer meet when Abra captured Sunday’s sixth race.

With Abra’s victory, Jacobson has won 41 races during the 56-day spring/summer meet, which began April 26 and ends on July 14. Trainer Todd Pletcher won 40 races in 2003.

“It’s very rewarding,” said Jacobson. “What more can I say? I’m very fortunate to be here and have my horses run as well as they are. It’s an honor to be mentioned in the same breath as Todd Pletcher. This isn’t supposed to happen - we’re a claiming outfit, mostly, so we’re supposed to do well at Aqueduct, not at Belmont during the spring and summer. But this gives our whole outfit momentum going into Saratoga.”

Jacobson, a son of trainer Howard “Buddy” Jacobson, trained from 1976-1982 and returned to the sport in 2007. He has won six NYRA meet titles and finished 2012 tied atop the leader board with 110 wins at Aqueduct Racetrack, Belmont Park, and Saratoga Race Course.

“It’s been all about putting the whole package together; it’s not any one thing,” said Jacobson. “I have my brother [Doug] working with me, and he has been claiming good horses every day. I have the best owners anybody can have who allow me to run my horses where I believe they should run and win. I’m fortunate enough to have riders like David Cohen, Joel Rosario, and the other really good jockeys ride for me, and they ride hard. And my staff is the key, Paul Wilson, Frank LaBoccetta, the list goes on.”

In 2007, Gary Contessa came close to matching Pletcher when he sent out 39 winners during the spring/summer meet. Prior to 2003, the previous record was 36 winners, set in 1982 by Frank “Pancho” Martin.