• Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago

Itsmyluckyday Out Four Months With Slight Fracture

Itsmyluckyday, who was pulled up on the backstretch during the running of the Pegasus Stakes on Sunday at Monmouth Park, is expected to miss four months of training with a slight fracture of the Ilium.

“It’s as good as we could have hoped for,” said trainer Eddie Plesa Jr., who conditions Itsmyluckyday for his wife Laurie and Triology Stable.  “It’s a little fracture of the Ilium, which is in the pelvic area.  He’s still at Mid-Atlantic (Ringoes, N.J.) for a little more testing today, but I expect him to be back here tomorrow or the next day.

“I’m told the success rate of a full recovery is outstanding.  I heard that of 29 horses that have had this issue, 27 of them came back to run just as well as they had before, so that’s very promising.”

Itsmyluckyday, sent off the 6-5 second choice in the Pegasus, was moving to engage pacesetter Verrazano on the backstretch when jockey Mike Smith pulled him up.

“He actually broke really sharp and was just about to go up to press Verrazano and I felt something behind,” said Smith shortly after the race.  “I wasn’t going to take a chance and decided it was better to be safe than sorry so I just took the cautious road.”

“Mike (jockey Smith) did a great job,” Plesa said.  “It’s times like that when experience really matters.”

Winner of the Grade 3 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park earlier this year, Itsmyluckyday was runner-up to Orb in the Grade 1 Florida Derby before a disappointing 15th place finish in the Kentucky Derby.  He followed that up with a solid second to Oxbow in the Preakness Stakes prior to his start in the Pegasus.

“He’ll stay here for the next 30 days or so,” Plesa said.  “I’m in no rush to put him on a van and send him back to Florida at this point.”

Itsmyluckyday is a 3-year-old colt by Lawyer Ron from the Doneraile Court mare Viva La Slew.  He sports a record of 5-3-1 from 13 starts, good for earnings of $830,100.

Older Comments about Itsmyluckyday Out Four Months With Slight Fracture...

Keep on Travel_Vic, I like your comments.
Good job Mike Smith!! Looking forward to Lucky's return!!!
Someone calling TV an "know it all", I'm shocked!
happy recovery Itsmyluckyday!
How does it feel to be an insufferable know it all tv?
  • DiegoVol · Sorry couldnt help myseslf. Figure I would harass you before someone else got the chance. · 1045 days ago
  • Mary Z. · Oh, excuse me. I'll just bow out gracefully and let the guy on guy action happen. · 1045 days ago
How does it feel to be an insufferable know it all tv?
kudos to mike for pulling that horse. That's why he's the best in the sport, besides Gary Stevens.
Hopefully, Luckyday will be back later in the year, or as a 4 yo.
Why do I sense a pile-on coming? :)
Exactly "Just about" any
just about ANY journeyman would know enough about the changing action to pull up the animal
Nice to have an experienced jockey on board
Everything was done properly to insure the well-being and a positive outcome for this horse. A non-displaced pelvic fracture can heal with rest and a good standard of care, but one that is missed or further traumatized (by running) can be catastrophic. Kudos to the connections for seeing that thorough diagnostics were undertaken, and not enough can be said about Mike Smith's good sense and forethought in pulling Itsmyluckyday up when he did! I'm linking accounts of the consequences that can occur if this type of fracture becomes displaced. http://www.hbpa.org/HorsemensJournalDisplay.asp?section=3&key1=9846