• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 5 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 5 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 5 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 9 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 10 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 11 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 11 days ago

Is It Us?

You'll hear many people moan and groan about how our horses of today are "weak" or "soft". How all the good horses have come and gone. How it will never be the same again. I agree with you all to point. I know that many breeders are going for quick returns of juveniles, and a high stud fee after a year or maybe two of racing.

I know that by our breeding for these horses, we have damanged our chances have having real classic distance horses in modern day racing. It's not always easy to accept such a turn of events, but maybe we don't have to.

Could it not only be our breeding, but our training that has put us in the hole that we keep digging deeper and deeper? I say yes. There's no real secret to training a race horse now adays. Jogs, gallops, and workouts at 6f and below. Now, I'm not saying it could be different, but this is all you ever hear about. I am also not 100% sure how training was 30+ years ago, but I know they worked their horses for longer distances.

I am a barrel racer, as many of you know. My horses sprint as fast as they can and turn around 55 gallon barrels at breakneck speeds for anywhere from 14-18 seconds, depending on the course size. Yet I gallop my horses a half mile or more as often as possible. That's almost four times the distance they will ever cover in a run. My horses come out, and they are not huffing and puffing, completely wiped out. They are still full of energy, and their breathing has hardly changed in terms of speed.

Here's what I'm preposing: I don't want a sudden change in length of workouts, because that could break down the horses' legs. Instead, a gradual change would be best, to build the horse up. Get them to go longer than they will need to, so that when they run it is no problemo. Now, there are downfalls to this. It could result in our horses being more tired, and not ready in time for their next big race. But, it worked back then, so if we bring it back and strengthen the breed again, why can't it work now?

Here's another interesting thing: could it be that we have not had a TC winner in so long because there is no standout? No real "secret" to training that makes one horse rise against others? I'll leave that up to you.

Hope you enjoyed what I put forth. Have a good day.

P.S. Kobe's Back was super impressive today. I'm looking forward to more from him with better trips.

~UnionRagsRules