• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Is Dullahan the Triple Crown Spoiler?

If Dullahan were to spoil the Triple Crown bid, would trainer Dale Romans feel any remorse?

“Absolutely not,” Romans said without hesitation during a Wednesday teleconference. “I think we owe it to the past Triple Crown winners to make [I’ll Have Another] earn it. If he’s a super horse, like Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Secretariat, and some of our past Triple Crown winners, then he’ll win it. If not, we’ll be able to beat him.”

Dullahan, who is trained by Romans for Donegal Racing, will not have to make up much ground in order to defeat I’ll Have Another as he finished third, beaten 1 ¾ lengths, in the Kentucky Derby.

Romans said he recently received advice on how to prepare Dullahan for the Belmont’s 1 ½-mile distance from an 80-year-old retired groom who used to work for his father, Jerry Romans.

“He told me, ‘Just remember, nature will take a horse a mile and an eighth, but you have teach one to go a mile and a half,’” Romans shared. “We’ve been changing the small things. Like instead of a mile-and-half, we go on two-and-a-half-mile gallops with him and galloping him before we breeze, just little things to try to teach him to go a little further, mentally and physically.”

While Dullahan has never competed at Belmont Park and has yet to win on dirt, Romans believes the colt will deliver a top performance in the Belmont Stakes.

“I’m going to try to get him [to Belmont] early next week to gallop a few days, breeze him over the racetrack,” said Romans. “We’ll be able to get a little better feel, but so far he’s a horse who has run over Polytrack, grass, dirt….I don’t think it matters to him.”

Older Comments about Is Dullahan the Triple Crown Spoiler?...

To me he has the best chance of upsetting IHA. He was too lightly raced going into the Derby but he seems to be primed and ready to give it a good shot now.
if dullahan can run the first mile in 1:08 and hold a strong lead he'll be ok... If not........ well, let the champagne fall from the HEAVENS!! I'll Have Another... on the rocks!
I think IHA can make it. I don't see UR making it, even with Johnny V on his back- we hear too many excusing and not enough action from this horse. I believe Dullahan is the only horse of stealing the Triple Crown.
He'll make it tough on IHA, and like Dale said, we must make IHA earn his title, rightly so! Like others have in the past... but I DO believe IHA will prevail. Dullahan will be right there at the wire though!
Review any chart of the Belmont: ever see a deep closer move late to get up?
If not for IHA Bodie would have won the Derby and Preakness wire to wire I think people are underestimating IHA , this horse has run progressively better his last three races and appears to be peaking at the right time and it seems he also has a will to get to the wire 1st. I belive this is a special horse who`s unstoppable right now and WILL win the triple crown.
If anyone can, Dullahan can. THink he is a long distance runner.
He's the obvious choice, but recent history has shown that it's usually one of the least obvious choices to bust up the Triple Crown
I ABSOULTELY LOVE THIS HORSE--
The run IHA made in the Preakness stretch doesn't get the appreciation it deserves. Bodemeister a horse full capable of getting the 1 3/16 mile was on his way to a 9 length romp just as in the Arkasas Derby when he got run down he wasn't coming back to him IHA was closing on a horse with a lot left.
I do not think he is, but there could be one. I would love to see a Triple Crown Winner, but if he is he will win it !!
NO! I don't think so...UR is capable especially with Johnny V on his back...
I certainly hope he won't get beat by a horse who hasnt' won on dirt yet. I hope Union Rags isn't on his toes on belmont day or else we're in trouble
NO! IHA only goes fast enough to win. UR is the only horse capable of beating him but I don't think he will. Rain could be a big factor.