• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Iotapa Outruns Broken Sword in Hirsch

Hronis Racing’s Iotapa, the even-money favorite ridden by Joe Talamo, outran a stubborn Broken Sword in deep stretch  to win the featured Grade I $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes on a rainy Saturday afternoon at Del Mar.

The four-year-old filly, who was claimed for $50,000 at Betfair Hollywood Park from her career debut in June, 2012, had to fight hard to claim a half-length success in the mile and one-sixteenth contest for older fillies and mares.

Coming into the race off a brilliant front-running ten-length triumph in the Grade I Vanity Handicap June 14 at Santa Anita,  Iotapa was well-positioned stalking in second place as jockey Rafael Bejarano sent Broken Sword  to the lead out of the gate.

Iotapa moved up with authority on the outside turning into the stretch to take a short lead  but then had to dig deep to hold off the tenacious Broken Sword, winning in 1:43.04 for the distance. Broken Sword, who carried 119 to the winner’s 123 pounds, was 2 ¼ lengths in front of Parranda, with Fiftyshadesofhay another length back in fourth in the field of six distaffers. Legacy was scratched from the original field.

“I have to tip my cap to that Hollendorfer filly (Broken Sword)," said winning rider Joe Talamo. "She was tough today. Coming off a layoff and she ran hard. When we made the turn (for home), I let my filly drift out on purpose. I didn’t want to get near her (Broken Sword). You don’t want to take on those tough ones. My filly is special and this was a heckuva win for her. And I have to give (trainer) John Sadler all the credit. He’s picked his spots for this filly and she’s really doing well.”

The winner, a Kentucky-bred filly by Afleet Alex, earned $180,000 with her sixth win in a dozen starts, all but her initial victory in her debut accomplished in the Hronis Stables colors. Her lifetime earnings are $796,796.

Since the Clement L. Hirsch Stakes is a Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” race, Iotapa’s entry fees and expenses will be paid for her to compete in the $2 million  B.C. Distaff at Santa Anita Friday, October 31.

In the mutuels, Iotapa paid $4, $2.60 and $2.40. Broken Sword, sent postward at 5-1, returned $4.40 and $3.40, while Parranda paid $3.80 to show.