• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 1 day ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 1 day ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 2 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 2 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 5 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 6 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 8 days ago

I'm Mom's Favorite Wins Head-Bob in Miss Preakness

I'm Mom's Favorite wins 2013 Miss Preakness.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
CJZ Racing Stable’s I’m Mom’s Favorite won a head-bob to take first money in the $100,000 Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Pimlico Race Course.

Reaching the lead in deep stretch under jockey Sheldon Russell, I’m Mom’s Favorite appeared to have the race in hand until longshot Flattering Bea came flying from far back to narrowly miss edging the 4-5 post-time favorite. I’m Mom’s Favorite’s margin of victory was just a nose. Behind Flattering Bea came Lighthouse Bay, with front runner Tread tiring to finish fourth.

I’m Mom’s Favorite covered the six furlong distance in 1:12.51 and she paid $3.80. The winner is based at the Fair Hill Training Center in the stable of Tony Dutrow and was winning for the third time in four starts. Her best previous stakes performance was a third-place finish in the Cicada Stakes at Aqueduct in March.

MS. PREAKNESS PINK WARRIOR QUOTES

Anthony Dutrow (trainer, I’m Mom’s Favorite, winner) – “When I watched the race, it was uncharacteristic of how she had run before. She got herself out of the race and she finished up well. After listening to Sheldon, he chose to ride her that way. He felt that she was very good the whole way around there.

“Having run her four or five times you have an expectation when the gates open. Sheldon was very confident and comfortable with it, but she had never run that way before so I wasn’t.”

Sheldon Russell (jockey, I’m Mom’s Favorite, winner) – “We got off to a really rough start. I was a bit surprised having the filly so far back, but she handled it fine. When I tipped her out at the top of the stretch, she came running. When I hit the front, I don’t know if she got a little bit lost or what. I just tried to keep her focused and I was lucky to just hold on.”

Crystal Pickett (trainer, Flattering Bea, 2nd) – “I was asking myself, Why did she have to be squeezed at the start?  I am tickled to death with her. She always tries hard and I thought we had got it at the last jump.”

Grant Whitacre (jockey, Flattering Bea, 2nd) – “We got squeezed back at the start when the ‘10’ came down on us. I would have preferred to be a lot closer. She gave me her run and tried real hard.”