• Dak Attack (2-1) is an impressive winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Channel Maker (8-5) wins the photo and survives multiple objections to win the Breeders' Stakes.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Kelly's Humor (11-1) rolls late to win Ellis Park Debutante.Posted 2 hours ago
  • Dream Dancing (6-1) nips Beau Recall in the Del Mar Oaks.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Collected (3-1) holds off Arrogate in the TVG Pacific Classic.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Hunt (3-1) scores his second graded stakes win of the meet, this time in the Del Mar Handicap.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Elate (4-1) rolls home a big winner in the Alabama.Posted 1 day ago
  • Money'soncharlotte (5-2) holds off Martini Glass in the Lady Jacqueline.Posted 1 day ago
  • Proctor's Ledge (2-1) kicks home a winner in the Lake Placid.Posted 1 day ago
  • Winx starts slow, but finishes fast to win the Warwick for her 18th straight!Posted 1 day ago

I'm A Dreamer Ends Losing Streak in Beverly D

'M A DREAMER and jockey Hayley Turner winning the Beverly D. at Arlington Park 8-18-12
After butting heads with some of Europe’s top older females, I’m A Dreamer found the reality of American racing much more to her liking on Saturday at Arlington Park, winning the Grade I $750,000 Beverly D. Stakes by a head over Marketing Mix.

I’m A Dreamer entered the Beverly D. on a seven-race losing streak, but had run well against Group I company. With Hayley Turner coming in to ride the 5-year-old Irish-bred Noverre mare, I’m A Dreamer sat seventh early before making her move at the top of the stretch, making up 4 ¼ lengths in the final quarter mile to win the prestigious event.

“It was a long stretch, but it isn’t really—it just felt like it,” said David Simcock, who trains for Andrew Stone. “She quickened up when that closer [Marketing Mix] was coming.”

Romacaca set the pace with Up flanking her through fractions of 23.67 seconds, 48.80 seconds, and 1:12.54 before Up took over on the far turn through a mile in 1:37.32. That is when the closers began their run, though, and I’m a Dreamer got the jump on Marketing Mix.

“She ran great,” Julian Leparoux said of his trip aboard Marketing Mix. “She’s a nice filly. She was running at the end, but maybe the winner got the jump on us. I was where I wanted to be.”

I’m A Dreamer has now won five of 14 races and has earned $772,731 lifetime. This was the first International Festival of Racing win for her connections.

“I can’t believe it,” jockey Hayley Turner said. “Thanks to David Simcock and his team because I haven’t had a lot to do with this filly. I always think that when you have a horse with a lot of ability, it makes your job a lot easier. Well I thought she had a good chance. She had a good attitude before the race. I think she seems to sparkle well when she’s [in North America].”

Europe-based horses completed four of the top six placings with Joviality running evenly paced to be third. Kapitale closed stoutly to finish fourth while Up faded to sixth.

Among the unplaced American runners, Upperline ran fifth, while Romacaca (7th), Mystical Star (8th), Stars to Shine (9th) and post-time favorite Aruna (10th) completed the order of finish.

“She just stumbled,” said Aruna’s jockey Ramon Dominguez, who won the Arlington Million some 45 minutes later aboard Little Mike.  “I don’t know what happened there and then we were last the whole way.”

I’m A Dreamer paid $14.60, $7.40 and $4.40.  Marketing Mix returned $4.60 and $3.40.  Joviality paid $5.