• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

I'll Have Another the next Sunday Silence?

A Kentucky Derby and Preakness (gr. I) winner is largely shunned by American breeders and thus sold to Japanese interests that stepped up and made a fair offer to the horse's owner. If the story of I'll Have Another's sale last week struck a familiar chord, it is because 22 years ago an eerily similar scenario played out over dual classic winner and 1989 Horse of the Year Sunday Silence.

The son of Halo would go on to have a legendary stallion career in Japan, becoming that country's leading sire 13 consecutive years and now its leading broodmare sire. Yet, domestic farms in the past month showed the same lack of enthusiasm for this year's dual classic winner, I'll Have Another, pointing to the fact the son of Flower Alley was an $11,000 yearling and a $35,000 2-year-old, indicating the young horse had conformation issues. Also, you have to go back four generations in his female family to find the type of runners and producers that quicken the heart. Here again, the similarities between I'll Have Another and Sunday Silence are striking.

Older Comments about I'll Have Another the next Sunday Silence?...

That would be very ironic, Yukichan. I would still love to see it though :)
I find the last sentence in this article hugely prophetic. One could argue that perhaps Sunday Silence would not have been the successful sire he was in Japan had he stayed in America because American breeders would not have sent their best mares to him. Shadai Farms made an enormous investment in quality European and American broodmares (as they and other farms continue to do). IHA will get quality broodmares in Japan no doubt. Probably some who raced in America. Wouldn't it be ironic if in 4 yrs time, we have a IHA cross with say Wickedly Perfect or Ginger Punch, both in Japan, who returns to the US representing Japan and wins a Breeder's Cup?
I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I believe Hancock got far more than his 250k per share paid by the Japanese. The same was probably true for IHA. My question is a bit more philosophical: Would Sunday Silence have been as successful of a stallion in the US, due to less genetic diversity by other Halo descendents? It will be interesting to see IHA's progeny as many of of the mares he will be bred are heirs of Sunday Silence. Still a lot of diversity there, though.
Another good question Miss Lovely TampaBay, keep them coming, works the ageless brain.
American breeders did not shun him, they just were not prepared to pay millions for him.
This horse has proven himself. It is beyond odd that American breeders pass over him. He deserves to be here in the states producing more good horses. I love this horse.