• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 2 days ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 4 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 5 days ago

Hurricane Bertie Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

HURRICANE BERTIE

Mike Mitchell (via cell phone from California, Kays and Jays) – “She’s a good filly on the synthetic tracks, but maybe a little better on dirt. She ran very well at Calder last summer (second in Azalea Stakes (G3), July 11). We saw this race on the schedule. It’s a Graded race and at the right distance, so we shipped her and gave her to Wesley Ward to look after. She’ll stay there now and run for Wesley in the future.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Kays and Jays, 1st) – “I let the other horse (Dr. Zic) have the lead today and I was happy to sit second, following her around. I waited as long as I could before asking my filly for one run, and when I did she went right by. She ran the race she had to run in order to win.”

Alan Garcia (jockey, Tar Heel Mom, 2nd) – “She ran well and I had a great trip, but the other horse was just faster.”