• Favorite Tara's Tango surges to win the Santa Maria at the wire.Posted 23 hours ago
  • O'Neill's strengthens his stable of 3-year-olds as Frank Conversation wins the El Camino Real Derby.Posted 1 day ago
  • Bolo nabs Obviously in the final strides of the Arcadia.Posted 1 day ago
  • BC Mile heroine Tepin crushes her foes in the Lambholm South Endeavor Stakes. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dancing House is ultra-game in taking the Barbara Fritchie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Penwith scores in the Royal Delta at Gulfstream Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Destin rolls home in the Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs.Posted 1 day ago
  • Polar River wins the UAE 1000 Guineas by a pole.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kobe's Back goes from last to first down the stretch to win the Palos Verdes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Storied Lady (4-1) up the rail to nip Saythreehailmary's in the Biogio's Rose.Posted 7 days ago

Hurricane Bertie Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

HURRICANE BERTIE

Mike Mitchell (via cell phone from California, Kays and Jays) – “She’s a good filly on the synthetic tracks, but maybe a little better on dirt. She ran very well at Calder last summer (second in Azalea Stakes (G3), July 11). We saw this race on the schedule. It’s a Graded race and at the right distance, so we shipped her and gave her to Wesley Ward to look after. She’ll stay there now and run for Wesley in the future.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Kays and Jays, 1st) – “I let the other horse (Dr. Zic) have the lead today and I was happy to sit second, following her around. I waited as long as I could before asking my filly for one run, and when I did she went right by. She ran the race she had to run in order to win.”

Alan Garcia (jockey, Tar Heel Mom, 2nd) – “She ran well and I had a great trip, but the other horse was just faster.”