• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 4 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 5 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 6 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 10 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 11 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 12 days ago

Hurricane Bertie Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

HURRICANE BERTIE

Mike Mitchell (via cell phone from California, Kays and Jays) – “She’s a good filly on the synthetic tracks, but maybe a little better on dirt. She ran very well at Calder last summer (second in Azalea Stakes (G3), July 11). We saw this race on the schedule. It’s a Graded race and at the right distance, so we shipped her and gave her to Wesley Ward to look after. She’ll stay there now and run for Wesley in the future.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Kays and Jays, 1st) – “I let the other horse (Dr. Zic) have the lead today and I was happy to sit second, following her around. I waited as long as I could before asking my filly for one run, and when I did she went right by. She ran the race she had to run in order to win.”

Alan Garcia (jockey, Tar Heel Mom, 2nd) – “She ran well and I had a great trip, but the other horse was just faster.”