• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 4 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 4 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 5 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 5 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 5 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 5 days ago

Hurricane Bertie Stakes Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

HURRICANE BERTIE

Mike Mitchell (via cell phone from California, Kays and Jays) – “She’s a good filly on the synthetic tracks, but maybe a little better on dirt. She ran very well at Calder last summer (second in Azalea Stakes (G3), July 11). We saw this race on the schedule. It’s a Graded race and at the right distance, so we shipped her and gave her to Wesley Ward to look after. She’ll stay there now and run for Wesley in the future.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Kays and Jays, 1st) – “I let the other horse (Dr. Zic) have the lead today and I was happy to sit second, following her around. I waited as long as I could before asking my filly for one run, and when I did she went right by. She ran the race she had to run in order to win.”

Alan Garcia (jockey, Tar Heel Mom, 2nd) – “She ran well and I had a great trip, but the other horse was just faster.”