• Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 18 hours ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 19 hours ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 1 day ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Frosted is pointing to the Breeders' Cup Classic, per his connections.Posted 3 days ago
  • Erupt (IRE) at 12-1 closes to win the $1,000,000 Pattison Canadian International (G1)Posted 6 days ago
  • Al's Gal (6-1) wins the head bob and the E. P. Taylor (G1) at WoodbinePosted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Hungry Island on a roll for McGaughey

Hungry Island was reported to be “very good” following her upset victory in Sunday’s Grade 2 Woodford Reserve Lake Placid. The filly’s Hall of Fame trainer, Shug McGaughey, was pleased, but not surprised by her Lake Placid triumph.

“Her races all year long have been good,” McGaughey said. “It’s been a great progression and I’ve been able to do with her what I wanted to do. After that allowance race [at Belmont on June 8], I didn’t really want to run her against older horses again so when the book came out up here and there was a 3-year-old filly little overnight stakes, we were able to do that. The Lake George was just a little too quick back for her, so I thought, ‘Well, I’ll just give her the time and go [to the Lake Placid ] and then that way if I need to press on in the fall at least she’ll be kind of fresh.’”

Hungry Island now has won four straight, breaking her maiden at Belmont on May 6 and taking the June 8 allowance en route to victories in Saratoga ’s Recording overnight stakes and the Woodford Reserve Lake Placid.

“She’s been doing so well here,” McGaughey added. “I didn’t know if we could beat [Winter Memories] or not, but I knew she’d know we were in there. I think the more [Alex Solis] has ridden her, the more confidence he’s had in her and I think he’s ridden her very well. In yesterday’s race, he maybe asked her a couple of times and that might have been sort of new to her; I was glad she was able to do that. When it rained, I didn’t figure there’d be much pace, but there wasn’t much pace in the races [at Belmont] either, so I really wasn’t worried about if she could kick, I thought she’d have a chance to pick up ground, though, and she did.”

McGaughey said he would nominate the daughter of More Than Ready to the Grade 1, $250,000 Garden City at Belmont Park on September 17 and then look to the Grade 1 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup at Keeneland on October 15.

“[The Garden City] is where I would plan on running her, but I just want to make sure that we didn’t take too much out of her,” McGaughey said. “We’ve also got the Queen Elizabeth at Keeneland. Best-case scenario would be to make both of them and then shut it down. If I just make one of them, that’s fine, too.”