• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 2 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 3 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 6 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 8 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 9 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 9 days ago

Hungry Island on a roll for McGaughey

Hungry Island was reported to be “very good” following her upset victory in Sunday’s Grade 2 Woodford Reserve Lake Placid. The filly’s Hall of Fame trainer, Shug McGaughey, was pleased, but not surprised by her Lake Placid triumph.

“Her races all year long have been good,” McGaughey said. “It’s been a great progression and I’ve been able to do with her what I wanted to do. After that allowance race [at Belmont on June 8], I didn’t really want to run her against older horses again so when the book came out up here and there was a 3-year-old filly little overnight stakes, we were able to do that. The Lake George was just a little too quick back for her, so I thought, ‘Well, I’ll just give her the time and go [to the Lake Placid ] and then that way if I need to press on in the fall at least she’ll be kind of fresh.’”

Hungry Island now has won four straight, breaking her maiden at Belmont on May 6 and taking the June 8 allowance en route to victories in Saratoga ’s Recording overnight stakes and the Woodford Reserve Lake Placid.

“She’s been doing so well here,” McGaughey added. “I didn’t know if we could beat [Winter Memories] or not, but I knew she’d know we were in there. I think the more [Alex Solis] has ridden her, the more confidence he’s had in her and I think he’s ridden her very well. In yesterday’s race, he maybe asked her a couple of times and that might have been sort of new to her; I was glad she was able to do that. When it rained, I didn’t figure there’d be much pace, but there wasn’t much pace in the races [at Belmont] either, so I really wasn’t worried about if she could kick, I thought she’d have a chance to pick up ground, though, and she did.”

McGaughey said he would nominate the daughter of More Than Ready to the Grade 1, $250,000 Garden City at Belmont Park on September 17 and then look to the Grade 1 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup at Keeneland on October 15.

“[The Garden City] is where I would plan on running her, but I just want to make sure that we didn’t take too much out of her,” McGaughey said. “We’ve also got the Queen Elizabeth at Keeneland. Best-case scenario would be to make both of them and then shut it down. If I just make one of them, that’s fine, too.”