• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 4 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 5 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 9 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 11 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 12 days ago

How Good is Icon Project?

Icon Project dusted the competition in the 2009 Personal Ensign at Saratoga
Looking at Icon Project's last three starts, her only races on dirt in an 11-race career, one can only wonder just how special this 4-year-old daughter of Empire Maker is. Read More

Older Comments about How Good is Icon Project?...

Icon Project is definitely one of the "now" fillies. Still, though, I think she'll have to bring her very best "A" game to beat Zenyatta. If Zenyatta runs against the girls and not the guys. Say what you will, the big "Zen" just has a nose for the wire and knows how to find it. Another filly I'm interested in seeing again, despite a long layoff, is Stardom Bound. I don't see her beating Icon Project or Zenyatta but I wouldn't be surprised if she were to hit the board in the Ladies Classic.
Agree that Icon Project is a monster... and if she doesn't bounce in the Spinster and comes into the Ladies Classic on a roll... then the race goes through her, not Zenyatta.
If she takes to the synthetics and does in the Spinster what she did on the dirt, she should be your Ladies Classic favorite. She won't be, but she should be. Zenyatta can win that race and will go off favored if she runs, but in my eyes she's still running off the reputation she earned last year. She's shown no improvement to her 2008 form in 2009, and I have to wonder if she's regressed. Careless Jewel is taking the easiest path possible to the race and she'll have raced against nobody, so I don't see her as a threat. Music Note and Cocoa Beach probably aren't going to win this thin, and Swift Temper is a nice mare, but never has been or will be at the pinnacle of her class. This race will be Icon Project's to lose.
I'll say this about Icon Project, she's the type of filly that could cause Rachael Alexandra or Zenyatta either one problems on a race track. I'm not saying she'd beat them, but let's say one of them got boxed in or had a bad trip, then I could maybe see her stealing a race against them then. She's got some talent.