• Magic Mark upsets the Bertrando Stakes at 11-1 to kickoff the Los Alamitos meet.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Salutos Amigos dominant in Monmouth Park's Mr. Prospector.Posted 5 days ago
  • Crucero upsets the San Juan Capistrano at odds of 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • La Verdad skips through the Belmont slop to a victory in the Dancin Renee.Posted 5 days ago
  • Treve too much for Flintshire and the rest in today's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.Posted 5 days ago
  • Golden Lad surges late to score in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bent on Bourbon has his coming out party in the Iowa Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Departing slips through on the hedge to win the Firecracker.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis just holds off Pangburn in the Iowa Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cosmic Evolution edges away to victory in the Debutante.Posted 5 days ago

How Good is Icon Project?

Icon Project dusted the competition in the 2009 Personal Ensign at Saratoga
Looking at Icon Project's last three starts, her only races on dirt in an 11-race career, one can only wonder just how special this 4-year-old daughter of Empire Maker is. Read More

Older Comments about How Good is Icon Project?...

Icon Project is definitely one of the "now" fillies. Still, though, I think she'll have to bring her very best "A" game to beat Zenyatta. If Zenyatta runs against the girls and not the guys. Say what you will, the big "Zen" just has a nose for the wire and knows how to find it. Another filly I'm interested in seeing again, despite a long layoff, is Stardom Bound. I don't see her beating Icon Project or Zenyatta but I wouldn't be surprised if she were to hit the board in the Ladies Classic.
Agree that Icon Project is a monster... and if she doesn't bounce in the Spinster and comes into the Ladies Classic on a roll... then the race goes through her, not Zenyatta.
If she takes to the synthetics and does in the Spinster what she did on the dirt, she should be your Ladies Classic favorite. She won't be, but she should be. Zenyatta can win that race and will go off favored if she runs, but in my eyes she's still running off the reputation she earned last year. She's shown no improvement to her 2008 form in 2009, and I have to wonder if she's regressed. Careless Jewel is taking the easiest path possible to the race and she'll have raced against nobody, so I don't see her as a threat. Music Note and Cocoa Beach probably aren't going to win this thin, and Swift Temper is a nice mare, but never has been or will be at the pinnacle of her class. This race will be Icon Project's to lose.
I'll say this about Icon Project, she's the type of filly that could cause Rachael Alexandra or Zenyatta either one problems on a race track. I'm not saying she'd beat them, but let's say one of them got boxed in or had a bad trip, then I could maybe see her stealing a race against them then. She's got some talent.