• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 1 day ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 4 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 4 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 4 days ago

Hot Summer Smokes Comely Rivals

Hot Summer sat the right stalking trip and cruised to a 2-1/4 length tally in Saturday's 62nd running of the Grade 3 Comely Stakes at Aqueduct.

R Holiday Mood held the early advantage through lively fractions of :23.10, :46, and 1:10.09. Mysterious Chimes chased with Ava K., Hot Summer, and Her Smile in hot pursuit.

Hot Summer struck the front in the lane and widened her advantage at the wire. She completed her flat mile journey in 1:35.58 and paid $14. Luis Saez rode the winner for David Fawkes.

“I didn’t think [the rail would open]", said winning trainer David Fawkes. "I didn’t think she would get through there. [Last time] she stumbled a little bit and was rushed a little bit, and that isn’t her. We’ve been working hard with her to sit off the pace, and it worked out. We’ll talk to Mr. Queen and try to make a plan. I think she’s going to stay here. We’ll find something. There will be something, somewhere.”

“[I saw on paper] that she’s got speed", said Luis Saez. "When she got to the gate, she wanted to go, but I got hold of her. At the three-eighths pole, I waited for the hole to open, and she responded. This is my first time riding here. I like it.”

Her Smile was clearly second best with Ava K. edging R Holiday Mood out of the show. Mysterious Chimes, Vixen's Roar, and Royal Sighting trailed.