• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Hot Summer Smokes Comely Rivals

Hot Summer sat the right stalking trip and cruised to a 2-1/4 length tally in Saturday's 62nd running of the Grade 3 Comely Stakes at Aqueduct.

R Holiday Mood held the early advantage through lively fractions of :23.10, :46, and 1:10.09. Mysterious Chimes chased with Ava K., Hot Summer, and Her Smile in hot pursuit.

Hot Summer struck the front in the lane and widened her advantage at the wire. She completed her flat mile journey in 1:35.58 and paid $14. Luis Saez rode the winner for David Fawkes.

“I didn’t think [the rail would open]", said winning trainer David Fawkes. "I didn’t think she would get through there. [Last time] she stumbled a little bit and was rushed a little bit, and that isn’t her. We’ve been working hard with her to sit off the pace, and it worked out. We’ll talk to Mr. Queen and try to make a plan. I think she’s going to stay here. We’ll find something. There will be something, somewhere.”

“[I saw on paper] that she’s got speed", said Luis Saez. "When she got to the gate, she wanted to go, but I got hold of her. At the three-eighths pole, I waited for the hole to open, and she responded. This is my first time riding here. I like it.”

Her Smile was clearly second best with Ava K. edging R Holiday Mood out of the show. Mysterious Chimes, Vixen's Roar, and Royal Sighting trailed.