• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Homeister enjoying Churchill Downs meet

After 181/2 years of riding and 2,395 victories, Rosemary Homeister Jr. still encounters trainers who say they can't use her because the horse owner doesn't want a female rider.

“Just tell 'em Homeister Jr. is riding their horse,” she tells them, “and I'll put hair in my helmet and they'll never know. I won't even wear eyeliner or lipstick when I come out.”

“They just start laughing,” Homeister said between races at Churchill Downs, where she is riding full-time for the first time. “They say, ‘Oh, I didn't even think of that.'

“Because you see ‘Jr.' you think male. I just try to make fun of it, and if I do meet owners that are like that, I just kill them with kindness.”