• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Hollywood Park Celebrates Zenyatta Dec. 5th

Zenyatta will make her final public appearance in California during a special celebration Sunday, December 5 at Hollywood Park.

The 6-year-old Street Cry mare, who finished her spectacular career with 19 wins in 20 starts and more than $7.3 million in earnings, will visit the saddling paddock after the sixth race, giving her legion of fans another opportunity to show their admiration.

Not long after, Zenyatta, who has called Hollywood Park home for more than three years, will head to the track and parade in front of both the grandstand and clubhouse area.

Replays of some of her most memorable races, including her debut Nov. 22, 2007 and her final victory, a thrilling decision over Switch in the Lady’s Secret Stakes Oct. 2 during the first Oak Tree at Hollywood Park meet, will be shown throughout the day.

All those closest to Zenyatta, who will depart the following day for Lane’s End Farm in Kentucky to begin her life as a broodmare, will be on hand.

Besides owners Jerry and Ann Moss and trainer John Shirreffs, the list includes the Mosses’ racing manager Dottie Ingordo-Shirreffs, Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith, who was aboard Zenyatta in her last 17 races, exercise rider Steve Willard, groom Mario Espinoza and hotwalker Carmen Zamona.

Smith will also be available to sign autographs prior to the start of the day’s races. Post time is 12:30 p.m. The session will begin at 11:30 a.m. at the Paddock Tote Board.

The feature event Dec. 5 is the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap. Defending champion Zardana is among the probables for the Grade II for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles over Cushion Track.

Owned by Arnold Zetcher, Zardana, who also defeated 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra in the New Orleans Ladies Classic March 13 at the Fair Grounds, is trained by Shirreffs. The 11-1 upset by Zardana last year was a record fifth in the Bayakoa for the trainer.

Older Comments about Hollywood Park Celebrates Zenyatta Dec. 5th...

I will definetly come to Cugels defense on this one..I remember his comments before the Classic and also remember reading the comments he made after the Classic because I felt it was real cool of him to admit that he was wrong about Z...Atleast he was man enough to admit that he was wrong..Theres not much people out there that would do that and he did..So he gets my respect...
humpy - I realize that you have a short attention span and a reading impedement - Alzheimers will do that to people - so I will be patient with you. I posted here twice after the BC Classic and I admitted that I was wrong about Z. She is the greatest horse of this century in my opinion, and one of the best of all time. Her race, losing in this year's BC, was a far better effort than 90% of her past races and convinced me of her greatness. Once again, for the third time, I admit I was wrong.
What ever happened to Cugel the Clever and is prognostications regarding this mare???
20 seems to be some landmark Man O'War won 20 of 21 the great pacer Somebeachsomewhere won 20 of 21 and the great trotter Muscle Hill won 20 of 21 too