• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 1 day ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 2 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 8 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 9 days ago

Hofmans Saddles 1,000th Career Winner

WINNER’S CIRCLE STATEMENT FROM DAVID HOFMANS ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 1,000th CAREER TRAINING VICTORY AFTER SADDLING FIRST TIME STARTER SULTRY SEASON TO WIN THE 10th RACE AT SANTA ANITA MONDAY BY 8 ¾ LENGTHS AT A $9.40 WIN PAYOFF UNDER JOE TALAMO FOR OWNERS LAWRENCE CANCELLIERI OF NEWPORT BEACH AND PETE PARRELLA (LEGACY RANCH) OF CHINO:

“I’m glad to get it over with. Even though I tried not to think about it, it was there. I’m just glad it happened with Pete Parrella because Pete and I have been together for 40 years. I won number 999 at Pomona (Fairplex Park) and I was hoping to hold off (for 1,000) at Santa Anita.

“I kind of looked up the guys (trainers) who have done it (won 1,000), and a lot of guys have won 1,000 races, but most of them have big stables. We have a small stable. We only carry 25 to 30 horses, and it’s hard to do. We’re here; we’re happy.

Some of the big horses he trained that come to mind: “Of course, we had Alphabet Soup (1996 Breeders’ Cup Classic winner); he was wonderful. Touch Gold (1997 Belmont winner) was great, Awesome Again was fantastic, Desert Code, His Legacy, years ago, was one of my favorite horses of all time. He was a great old Cal-bred horse.  Dramatic Gold. There are so many of them. Greg’s Gold, he was fantastic and won a lot of races for us.

"We’re just happy for all my clients and all my barn help and glad this is done.”

Hofmans, 69, was born in Los Angeles. He saddled his first winner in 1974.