• Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 2 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 3 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 4 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 4 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 4 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 4 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 4 days ago
  • Awtaad upsets Galileo Gold to win the Irish 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago

Hofmans Saddles 1,000th Career Winner

WINNER’S CIRCLE STATEMENT FROM DAVID HOFMANS ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 1,000th CAREER TRAINING VICTORY AFTER SADDLING FIRST TIME STARTER SULTRY SEASON TO WIN THE 10th RACE AT SANTA ANITA MONDAY BY 8 ¾ LENGTHS AT A $9.40 WIN PAYOFF UNDER JOE TALAMO FOR OWNERS LAWRENCE CANCELLIERI OF NEWPORT BEACH AND PETE PARRELLA (LEGACY RANCH) OF CHINO:

“I’m glad to get it over with. Even though I tried not to think about it, it was there. I’m just glad it happened with Pete Parrella because Pete and I have been together for 40 years. I won number 999 at Pomona (Fairplex Park) and I was hoping to hold off (for 1,000) at Santa Anita.

“I kind of looked up the guys (trainers) who have done it (won 1,000), and a lot of guys have won 1,000 races, but most of them have big stables. We have a small stable. We only carry 25 to 30 horses, and it’s hard to do. We’re here; we’re happy.

Some of the big horses he trained that come to mind: “Of course, we had Alphabet Soup (1996 Breeders’ Cup Classic winner); he was wonderful. Touch Gold (1997 Belmont winner) was great, Awesome Again was fantastic, Desert Code, His Legacy, years ago, was one of my favorite horses of all time. He was a great old Cal-bred horse.  Dramatic Gold. There are so many of them. Greg’s Gold, he was fantastic and won a lot of races for us.

"We’re just happy for all my clients and all my barn help and glad this is done.”

Hofmans, 69, was born in Los Angeles. He saddled his first winner in 1974.