• Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 5 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 6 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 6 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 6 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 6 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 7 days ago

Hofmans Saddles 1,000th Career Winner

WINNER’S CIRCLE STATEMENT FROM DAVID HOFMANS ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 1,000th CAREER TRAINING VICTORY AFTER SADDLING FIRST TIME STARTER SULTRY SEASON TO WIN THE 10th RACE AT SANTA ANITA MONDAY BY 8 ¾ LENGTHS AT A $9.40 WIN PAYOFF UNDER JOE TALAMO FOR OWNERS LAWRENCE CANCELLIERI OF NEWPORT BEACH AND PETE PARRELLA (LEGACY RANCH) OF CHINO:

“I’m glad to get it over with. Even though I tried not to think about it, it was there. I’m just glad it happened with Pete Parrella because Pete and I have been together for 40 years. I won number 999 at Pomona (Fairplex Park) and I was hoping to hold off (for 1,000) at Santa Anita.

“I kind of looked up the guys (trainers) who have done it (won 1,000), and a lot of guys have won 1,000 races, but most of them have big stables. We have a small stable. We only carry 25 to 30 horses, and it’s hard to do. We’re here; we’re happy.

Some of the big horses he trained that come to mind: “Of course, we had Alphabet Soup (1996 Breeders’ Cup Classic winner); he was wonderful. Touch Gold (1997 Belmont winner) was great, Awesome Again was fantastic, Desert Code, His Legacy, years ago, was one of my favorite horses of all time. He was a great old Cal-bred horse.  Dramatic Gold. There are so many of them. Greg’s Gold, he was fantastic and won a lot of races for us.

"We’re just happy for all my clients and all my barn help and glad this is done.”

Hofmans, 69, was born in Los Angeles. He saddled his first winner in 1974.